Leaving mash overnight...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridemywideglide

Reaction score
After toying with the "clay-roller" grain mill, It's now too late to boil and all tonight.. Question is, is it better to leave the mash overnight, or collect the runnings in my pot and leave that overnight????
Kids have track at 6am and I just can't go until 2am brewing tonight.

I would suspect it will sour if left overnight. If I had to choose I would mash it and boil the next day.

Like what blender said, It will be sour. I left my tun full one night because I got done brewing late and didn't want to clean it. I got up in the morning opened the lid and the stench almost knocked me off my feet.

It will sour if you let it sit at the temperature range where thermophilic bacteria can thrive weather you lauter it or leave it on the husks. It is already infected with lacto, lautering is not gonna change that. It would be better to leave it in a tightly sealed Mash tun where It may stay too hot for them... But thats just me.

Once you start to brew you have to finish the job otherwise the bacteria will take over.

Yeah, this is not good. They always say that you can pretty much do anything and you'll make good beer. I think this might be one of those exceptions. :(

Well I've read several posts here about guys doing the same, I just didn't know where to leave it for the night. I boiled today, smelled fine, tastes fine, and my gravity was actually spot-on for once. :ban:

We'll see in a few weeks, but I think it's gonna make it... :D

I am just finishing a batch I mashed last night and let it sit.

Smelled fine to me, we will see how it tastes in a few weeks.

I've done a couple of overnight mashes without any problems or souring. I understand that it depends on how well your mash tun will hold temperatures over night. I mashed in the low 150's and only lost about 10 degrees over night down into the low 140's. No problem.

Sometimes I have mashed the grains and let them sit and drain over the pot overnight into the wort, but I'd never leave the grains in there. I haven't had a bad result yet.

As much as I can though I usually mash and boil the same night, and then leave that overnight so it's about room temp for the yeast to play in once I wake up the next day.

Granted - please take my advice with a grain of salt, I have brewed less than 10 all-grain batches.

Back