Efficiency and grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so my last brew was off on the OG and my efficiency was only 70%... I believe this has something to do with my grain mill... I get a super fine mill out of it. Ive been led to believe this isnt a problem unless you get stuck sparges, well I don't! I was also way short on water.... does the finer crack absorb more water? is there any way to adjust beersmith for this? or am I just way off?

Are you batch-sparging?

I'll focus on one thing at a time so as to keep things simple in my head.

Were you short on pre-boil volume? If so, this is a simple mathematical fix. Measure the amount of first runnings and subtract from your intended preboil volume. This will give you your sparge volume.

I go for 8 gallons preboil on my system, so if I collect two gallons of first runnings, I then need 6 gallons total sparge water (split into two equal infusions of 180-185° or whatever it takes to get my grainbed to 168°).

Ya dig?

yeah! i do one sparge (I assume that means batch) my pre boil volume was low, but i measured out the amounts beermsith said, so im wondering if my software needs to know i have a crazy crack?

yeah! i do one sparge (I assume that means batch) my pre boil volume was low, but i measured out the amounts beermsith said, so im wondering if my software needs to know i have a crazy crack?

Software assumes an absorption rate of .10 -.12 gallons/pound if memory serves but it might be different in practice. The finer crush is likely absorbing more of the strike water, but moisture content of the grain, humidity, etc. all play a role. Software is a great tool, but you need to be able to manipulate it to your conditions so it gives predictable, accurate results.

You'll see a bump in efficiency if you split your sparge volume in half or even thirds. Try it and see.

Back