90 min IPA-Recipe looking for feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Etnabrews

Reaction score
I am hoping for a little feedback on this recipe I have created
I am wondering if I should juggle the hop additions a little, remove some, or add some. I have Citra and Simcoe on hand as well

question comments welcome

going to step mash 120-140-153 for a 10 gallon batch

20lbs Maris Otter
10 lbs 2-Row
2 lbs Dexterine
1 lbs wheat
1 lbs carahell 8-10
corn sugar as needed

1 oz Warrior 90 min
1 oz Amarillo 90 Min
1 oz Summit 60
.5 oz Warrior 60
.5 oz Amarillo 60
1 oz Centennial 30
1 oz Centennial 0
.5 oz Warrior 0
.5 oz Summit 0
Cascade Dry Hop
Centennial Dry Hop
Summit Dry Hop

I have changed it to this if anyone wants to know....

20lbs Maris Otter
10 lbs 2-Row
2 lbs Dexterine
1 lbs wheat
1 lbs carahell 8-10
corn sugar as needed

1 oz Warrior 90 min
1 oz Amarillo 90 Min
1 oz Summit 60
.5 oz Warrior 60
.5 oz Amarillo 30
.5 oz Centennial 30
.5 oz Centennial 15
.5 oz Centennial 0
.5 oz Amarillo 0
.5 oz Warrior 0
.5 oz Summit 0
Cascade Dry Hop
Centennial Dry Hop
Summit Dry Hop

And of course all recipes go through several revisions
My co-brewer and I have decided on this

go ahead and weigh in

20lbs Maris Otter
10-15 lbs 2-Row
2 lbs Dexterine
1 lbs wheat
.5 lbs carahell 8-10
1 lbs corn sugar if needed.

1 oz Warrior 90 min
1 oz Amarillo 90 Min
.5 oz Warrior 60
.5 oz Summit 30
.5 oz Amarillo 10
.5 oz Centennial 5
.5 oz Amarillo 0
.5 oz Centennial 0
.5 oz Warrior 0
.5 oz Summit 0
Cascade Dry Hop
Centennial Dry Hop
Summit Dry Hop

haha yes well hopefully I will avoid hops syrup

Not trying to clone DFH 90min (though it is super tasty), simply trying to make a 90 min IPA.

do think bitter hops should back off even more?

I am sorry... I totally overlooked the fact that you never once mention DFH... I guess I am just a little obsessed haha.

I wouldn't use a full ounce for bittering. You are boiling for 90 minutes so you will most likely get a lot of bittering out of any hops you use before the 30 minutes mark. I am a member of the hop bursting school so I only about 10% of the time will I use any hops before 30 minutes. I like the flavor and aroma of them more than the bitterness.

Have you plugged this into a program? What kind of IBUs are you seeing. I understand the gravitation to go big on IBUs but honestly keeping it under 100 will probably give you a more balanced IPA... I love IPAs but I hate drinking astringent bitter hop oil. It is all an experiment but I wouldn't use full ounces at 90 minutes. I myself would probably bitter to about 50 IBUs in the first 70 minutes and then just dump the hop farm in around 10 minutes.

2 cents.

hop bursting school? as in bursting with hops?

No worries, DFH is fantastic stuff it was part of my "homework" for this beer :)

Yeah I plugged it into Qbrew (which is primeval I know) and the first version spit out 109 IBUS
which was WAY to high. I think I will cut those 90s in half and maybe back that warrior at 60 down to 10

I just did exactly that and bumped the summit around andthe IBUs went down to 68 even which makes me quite a bit happier

I find that an IPA that hovers in the 60-80 range is delicious... more than that and it is a hop bomb.

Although depending on how big of a beer this will be those IBUS could probably be taken up to 100 for something that clocks in around 8-10%. The added alcohol and malt character will balance that I bet. Also depends how much your yeast attenuates. A drier beer will taste more bitter than a beer that stops around 1.020

Hop bursting = the process of adding most of your hops at the end of the boil to emphasize flavor and aroma rather than bitterness.

So this is the 2nd of what I call a Brewkrieg, in this case IPAs (I did a Lager Brewkrieg this winter)
the first was a NZ IPA anyway my point is that the 3rd one is going to be an experience in hop bursting, its actually a Heady Topper clone which I have been perfecting "in secret", this will be its 4th attempt and I have finally farmed some conan yeast from a can.

Also the beer in question here will be pretty big though in my experience Qbrew over estimates gravity and under estimates hops so that has been taken into account. I think with that hops shuffle this will be a nicely balanced IPA

Let us know how it goes!

And Heady Topper is very close to my heart having grown up a stone's throw from Waterbury, VT... delicious doesn't even begin to describe that beer.

I realized you asked for some feedback a long long time ago...sorry for the exceptional delay

The beer was excellent though its been so long that I don't remember it clearly. It was a doozy though

Latest posts

Back