Hop character wheel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgentzel

Reaction score
So, I found this site just moments ago and they have an image a realllllly cool looking hop character wheel. Something like this seems very intuitive to me and I would really love to check it out, however, the image is extremely small and I can't find anything similar around. Has anyone else seen something like this with a higher resolution?

http://beermeabeer.com/2009/03/there-can-only-be-one-single-hopped-beers/

zsarg.jpg

It's from Brewing Classic Styles, so it's copyrighted.

I don't find it very useful, though. I mean, it's a fine layout in some ways, but looking at it you'll find Centennial and Cascade on one side with Chinook all the way on the opposite side--there's a somewhat logical reason for that, but those hops are used together all the time in real life. Really, the spread between citrus and piney is one of the smallest as far as compatible flavors go, but those are opposite sides of the wheel.

And because things are shoehorned into one primary zone, you get some odd placements for hops that have multiple characteristics. Most people I know have the reaction "whoa, that's floral!" when they drink their first Bell's Two Hearted Ale, but it's listed as citrus primarily with a little floral sub-note.

Nothing on the wheel is wrong, per se, it's just that I'm not sure the axes used to lay it out are very useful to a homebrewer.

Thanks for the heads up :)

I've just recently moved onto all grain beers and, though still doing some clone recipes, I wouldn't mind taking a stab at some recipes of my own. Though I can look up the guidelines of a certain style of beer and I have a general idea of what hops are used together and in what style beers, I'm anxious to take a stab at a recipe of my own.

What do you suggest, just dive in head first or can you suggest any reading material?

Thanks for the heads up :)

I've just recently moved onto all grain beers and, though still doing some clone recipes, I wouldn't mind taking a stab at some recipes of my own. Though I can look up the guidelines of a certain style of beer and I have a general idea of what hops are used together and in what style beers, I'm anxious to take a stab at a recipe of my own.

What do you suggest, just dive in head first or can you suggest any reading material?

First, buy commercial brews that use exclusively (or primarily) a single hop to learn what it tastes like.

Idea #1: Design around a hop
Narrow it down to one or a couple that you like. Pick a style that you think you could use those hops in successfully. Look at similar recipes in the style (ones that use similar hops) for an approach to a grain bill

Idea #2: Design around a style
Pick a style. Look at a bunch of recipes in the style to figure out what kinds of hops are common. Pick a few that you like, or that you think are similar enough to work well.

Either way, you can then pull out your brew software, give a go at designing a recipe, and post it here for advice.

Also remember that it's really all a matter of taste, and that it's especially difficult to screw up simple recipes. You can do a single malt/single hop of, say, Marris Otter and almost any hop that you like and it's going to be a good beer as long as you get the hop/gravity ratios in the right ballpark.

Likewise, you can almost always throw in a pound of crystal 60 or Vienna or biscuit if that's the flavor you want and use some common high-alpha hop for bittering and one whose flavor you like for later additions. Whether you do Galena or Magnum or Northern Brewer for bittering will have some effect on the flavor, but it's almost definitely not going to ruin your beer (especially if you match it with even a remotely similar flavoring/aroma hop).

The same goes for picking a yeast--you obviously don't want London Ale yeast in your pilsener, but as long as you're in the right ballpark you should be okay. US05 vs. Nottingham vs. Pacman will change the flavor some, but if you're making, say, a pale ale or IPA they're probably all going to result in good beer. Obviously there's a real flavor difference, but that's the joy of designing a recipe--you can pick what you like.

Now, once you start messing with larger amounts of non-base ingredients or with really strong ones (peated malt, roasted barley, Sorachi Ace hops, Belgian yeasts, etc) then you want to be a little more careful and have some idea what the outcome is like (probably by having brewed with them in another recipe before). But as long as you start off using baseline stuff and working within some reasonable IBU/gravity guidelines, go crazy. Have fun. Design a beer that _you_ want!

And then post here--someone will let you know if things look too crazy. And it's always good to get positive feedback beforehand, too. My first recipe posted I ended with the line "Does this seem like an insane idea?". There were definitely a lot of suggestions (many of which I incorporated), but hearing the first or second reply say "Au contraire, mon ami. It is a *fantastic* idea." was nice to hear and let me know that I already had an actual honest-to-god beer recipe--I was now just trying to make it a *good* beer recipe.

And it turned into the best beer I've ever made. :mug:

Back