Any hockey fans out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Monkey

Reaction score
Not sure how many hockey fans are out there, but those of us who choose a different path from the "normal" for our sports entertainment, I'm in a dismal mood this holiday season -

I love living near a NHL team, and have in every city we've moved to so far. Well, my luck might change pretty soon -

globeandmail.com: Coyotes' financial situation gets uglier

Trouble In The Desert: NHL, Please Save the Phoenix Coyotes! | Bleacher Report

Now, I'm not going to cry in my ham tomorrow, but I am going to hope by some grace of good fortune there's a homebrewer out there with $200M looking for a team.

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

I think they just might make it. My Sabres were run by the league for a few years after a bankrupt corrupt ownership fell through. The NHL protects its franchises and does what it can to save them. The Coyotes will play some northern team in the 2010 Winter Classic Im sure. Dont lose too much sleep over it. I think theyll survive but it is very bad timing with the fiat economy failing and everything.

I hope they end up staying, I'd hate to move again!

Red Wing's night is the only game out the the entire 42 home game stand that has a full attendance - and I'm pretty sure I don't need to tell you who the people are there to see :)

The fact the NHL stepped in is good news for now, there's talk about some movie director's group buying it all up (all rumor of course).

Its a bit of a slippery slope. People only want to watch their team win and when a team goes through something distracting like this winning is even harder. Best of luck man I feel for ya. NOW GO BUY SOME ****ING TICKETS!!!!!!!!

Die hard Wings fan, but I live in Tennessee and support the Preds. 2 years ago the were all but moved to Canada, but it never materialized. I will keep going to games and supporting them, especially when the Wings come to town. Don't lose hope. :mug:

We have 4 season tickets for just my wife and I - had to do it at the silly half-off prices!

We take a LOT of people to the games - we're 6 rows back from the 'yotes net. Best seat in the rink when you played goal for a number of years...

And if I had a dime for every time someone said "Hockey in the desert?" I'd just about have enough to buy the team out myself :)

My opinion on this matter probably won't go over well...but I say let them fail.

At the very least, it will prove to that rat fink Bettman that expansion was the worst thing that could ever happen to hockey. Yes, I know the 'yotes weren't an expansion team (they were originally the Winnipeg Jets), but this franchise was part of the movement to drain hockey from Canada on the premise that it would do better in the US. Well that hasn't worked. You have 3 or 4 franchises in the US that are struggling mightily. Next we'll see this happen with Nashville, after that Columbus, and after that Atlanta. And look at that...all expansion teams.

Bettman is screwing up the NHL and no one has the nuts to stop it.

Someone should have gotten a clue when Phoenix couldn't even support the Roadrunners.

Living in Michigan, I am legally required to like the red wings. although I like college hockey better, LSSU Lakers FTW!

are there any teams left in canada?

Nothing worth talking about..... :drunk:

Go Wings!!!

Every baby born in Michigan goes home in a replica Lord's Cup!

stanley.cup.baby.jpg

Sharks fan here. Great season so far, but like everyone else says "Wait and see how the playoffs go". I'm getting used to the bay area teams failing in the playoffs in the past 10 years (Sharks, A's, Raiders Super Bowl, Giants WS) so I don't get all that bummed about it. Up in Portland I've seen a few Winterhawks games, but I spend my time actually playing hockey instead of watching the minors.

I love how Yahoo streams free live hockey games every night. (Go to the NHL section of Yahoo sports and in the Scores page you can click Watch Live on 1 or 2 specific games and it will play the TV feed right on your computer. Hooray, Sharks/Stars tonight! Pens/B's or Flyers/Canucks tomorrow) I don't have cable or dish so this is the only way I can watch hockey until NBC shows them on a Saturday.

Red Wing's night is the only game out the the entire 42 home game stand that has a full attendance - and I'm pretty sure I don't need to tell you who the people are there to see :)

Out here, they call it "Joe Louis West"..

I've been to a Wings game at Glendale (Jobing arena.. Whatever) and it was amazing. I was swarmed by thousands of other Wings fans there, asking me what it was like to see a game at the Joe and what Hockeytown was like..

I was a golden God among hockey fans.

Big "home and home" tonight and Thursday for Hawks/Wings.

Implications for the standings involved.

Central Division:
1. Detroit - 35 games played, 51 points
2. Chicago - 33 games played, 47 points
3. Nashville - 36 games played, 37 points

I'm recording tonight's game to watch after work.
(stupid 2nd shift)

Born in Buffalo but have spent the past 20+ years in the south. Had to survive on Atlanta Knights minor-league hockey for a long time before they went away. After trying to get into Thrashers' hockey I finally gave up on that during the lockout. Luckily, we have an ECHL affiliate close by (well, it used to be close by before I moved). Until Atlanta Spirit, LLC consolidates their fecal matter, the Thrashers will continue to be a non-factor.

I saw a comment on one of the hockey forums I visit that made me laugh: "Gary Bettman should be beaten with a sack of doorknobs." Amen.

Nice tip on the Yahoo sports angle, neko. I've been having to subsist on the Monday and Tuesday games on Versus and HNIC on NHL Network. I've come to grips with the fact that no matter how much homebrew I drink, Don Cherry's outfits will never seem sane to me.

I've been having to subsist on the Monday and Tuesday games on Versus and HNIC on NHL Network. I've come to grips with the fact that no matter how much homebrew I drink, Don Cherry's outfits will never seem sane to me.

Don Cherry is a god. HNIC is so awesome, awesome doesn't even seem like a good enough word to describe it.

Taking it to Detroit! It's most comfortable there.

:mug::rockin::mug:

You said it!

I have been a die hard wings fan for years. Saw them through all of the playoff chokes, then smiled through the Cup years, then through more of the crappy playoff perfomences, and then there was last year :rockin:

I don't watch nearly as much as I used to, with one year of no hockey it was hard to come back to. But, am still a fan.

I prefer junior league, cuz I can at least attend those games live.

Don Cherry is a god. HNIC is so awesome, awesome doesn't even seem like a good enough word to describe it.

Seconded. Even if I don't always agree with some of his analysis, I gotta hand it to the guy for saying exactly what he thinks, regardless of who he might piss off. And the amount of respect he pays to the Canadian military guys...you just can't say enough about it. I'm not one who enjoys getting choked up during a hockey game, but sometimes things need to be put into perspective.

Watch out for the orange and black this year. Plenty of offense and enough solid defensemen to make a run. Let's go Flyers!

And the amount of respect he pays to the Canadian military guys...you just can't say enough about it. I'm not one who enjoys getting choked up during a hockey game, but sometimes things need to be put into perspective.

I hear ya. I love that segment.

WINTER CLASSIC tomorrow BOYZZZZZZZ!!!

I'm psyched. Especially after the sloshing the Wings put on my boys last night. That was a tough game to watch. Detroit out-skated, out-muscled and totally dominated the scared Hawks. If the Hawks are going to be contenders instead of pretenders, they need to turn the tables tomorrow.

I was actually hoping this thread was related to the Winter Classic game.

I tried for 3 weeks straight trying to get decently priced Winter Classic tickets, and I'm not even a Hawks/Wings fan (go Maple Leafs). I was privileged enough to witness a Wisconsin/Ohio State hockey game up at Lambeau Field, and can't speak enough of how much outdoor hockey can have on a true fan.

Unfortunately, its a sport that's not intended for the flat arena's like Wrigley, especially when the NHL thinks it needs to rake in similar cash with 40k seats compared to 70k+ seats up in Buffalo. Any tickets with worthwhile sight-lines were $225 or $325, while at the same time rendering any decent "Box Tickets" almost worthless sans-jumbotron.

Keep outdoor hockey in either NFL open air fields, or keep them in decent sized open air College football fields. I'm still looking forward to the day when Ohio State returns the favor and I get to sit and watch outdoor hockey with 100k fans at The Horseshoe.

Anyways, can't wait for tomorrow. Last years game really hit home after seeing the game at lambeau. Because the wife is working tonight, and expects me to be home to enjoy a bottle of champagne with her around 2:30am, all of the New Years celebrations start tomorrow at 11 leading up to when the puck drops.

Nobody is watching World Junior Hockey? Tonight Canada and the US had one of the finest drag-out three period hockey brawls I've had the privilege to witness. Each team played hard, brutal hockey and played to win. It's clear that we're going to meet again in the playoffs. I believe you guys play tomorrow and we play on Saturday. The gold medal game is on Monday. Tune in for some excellent 'under 20' hockey. These are the guys getting drafted.

God I wish. I don't have cable, and my buddy Tivo-ed tonight's game. I met a buddy out tonight, and he mentioned that his roommate, who was watching the game live, called him to let him know that it was a 5-0 game, didn't tell who was up, and that the ref's were still trying to decide who was getting penalties after 4 minutes of stoppage.

I usually miss the Junior's tournament due to the Wisc Badger's holiday tourney, so I hope to get my hands on a copy and to finally sit down and watch.

God I wish. I don't have cable, and my buddy Tivo-ed tonight's game. I met a buddy out tonight, and he mentioned that his roommate, who was watching the game live, called him to let him know that it was a 5-0 game, didn't tell who was up, and that the ref's were still trying to decide who was getting penalties after 4 minutes of stoppage.

I usually miss the Junior's tournament due to the Wisc Badger's holiday tourney, so I hope to get my hands on a copy and to finally sit down and watch.

Must have been a different game. I won't give it away, but it was never 5 - 0. There was some, uh, lack of discipline though. A few cheap shots from both sides but mostly just hard hitting hockey. I think we'll hear about a disqualification or two once the reviews are done.

The Winter Classic living up to the hype so far...great game.

Classic Hawks-Wings. It is gonna be ugly in the later periods I think!

Conklin looks shaky early.

The winter classic is a cool thing, but I hate both teams.

I was hoping for a crazy-assed blizzard to sweep through dumping piles of snow on the ice, causing multiple injuries to all involved. Including McCreary!!

Back