Pasteurized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbr2547

Reaction score
Hi king of making cider for the first time - issues with using pasteurized cider? That's all I can find...

There is a really good sticky on here about using different kinds of juice. Check to see if there is potassium sorbate added to the cider also. It is a preservative that hinders yeast reproduction. It can be overcome but will add some more steps to your production.

Using pasteurized juice is no problem at all. If you're using store bought juice, it's probably all going to be either UV or Flash pasteurized. As Pintsman stated, you just want to steer clear of any preservatives.

It's best if you can find juice that states 100% apple juice on the ingredients, but Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) is fine. I've heard that it adds a little tartness to the final product though.

MasterPintsman said:
There is a really good sticky on here about using different kinds of juice. Check to see if there is potassium sorbate added to the cider also. It is a preservative that hinders yeast reproduction. It can be overcome but will add some more steps to your production.

I can get 100 percent natural except for potassium sorbate - can I still use and if so what are the extra steps needed? Will it still come out ok?

Back