Itching to get into AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub117

Reaction score
I started brewing in January, and every batch I make not only is my beer tasting better, and getting better head retention, but I get more comfortable with the process. Now I'm at the point where I want to get into all grain. I've been doing a partial mash with techniques borrowed from the Complete Joy of Homebrewing, and DeathBrewers writeup, and it's been going good, but I want more. Only problem is, SWMBO doesn't want me to spend any more money on my hobby (or addiction as she calls it:drunk:) So I was thinking about trying out the zap-pap from the book, since I never use my bucket fermentor, but after poking around on here I'm not so sure anymore. So here are my questions:

Is it actually effective?
Will the flavor of my beer improve?
Is there another system that I can build for next to nothing?
Should I just hold off until I can afford to do it right?

Thanks in advance,
Graham

Obviously your mate is defective. She needs to be returned for a better model.

Hey, if Charlie Freaking Papazian say it works, then yes, it works. It may not be the best, or the easiest, but it will work.

Will your beer improve? That's a tough one to answer, but you seem to be doing the right things, so signs point to yes.

Well, probably the cheapest all-grain process is "boil in a bag" (BIAB). All you need is a nylon mesh bag, some pre-crushed grains and the know-how.

All grain can be (definitely is, in the long run) cheaper than extract, so tell your defective mate that you're trying to save money.

I forgot to mention the water thing. Water chemistry is a lot more important in all grain. You should do some looking into it.

If you already have a10 gallon or larger cooler then you can do all grain. Make a manifold out of SS mesh tubing. You should be able to rig up a mash tun for about $15.00. That really is all you need.

All grain lets you tweak the recipe and gives you the ability for more recipe development. Also, everything IMO is better from the source. What is the source of LME and DME? PLUS, your cost of brewing will go down.

Best of luck!

Haha, she's not completely defective, just has some kinks to work out! Thanks for the fast responses. So what I was thinking for the zap pap was to use my bottling bucket as the outside bucket, because it already has a valve on it...If I did the SS mesh manifold, I would also need to buy a ball valve right? I can really get all of this for under $15?

Haha, she's not completely defective, just has some kinks to work out! Thanks for the fast responses. So what I was thinking for the zap pap was to use my bottling bucket as the outside bucket, because it already has a valve on it...If I did the SS mesh manifold, I would also need to buy a ball valve right? I can really get all of this for under $15?

If you're going to go the cooler route, you're probably going to spend more than $15. I think I spent about $30 - $40 to get the parts I needed to get mine up and running (not including the cost of the cooler).

Spend the 80 bones to get the mash tun. I bet you can find a DIY thread around here that would cost you half of that (i'm lazy and rely on X-mas and Bdays)

You can find a family member or friend with an old propane burner that they used for fish frys. Borrow it until you have the extra cash. I recommend:http://www.midwestsupplies.com/king-kooker.html when you can afford it.

Get yourself a nice SS pot. Most people will recommend a 7 gallon for 5 gallon batches. I got by with a 5 gallon pot for 5 gallon batches for awhile. My efficiency sucked balls but you can do it. Just add the appropriate amount of extract according to your pre boil post mash OG/SG. If you dont know the formula PM and I'll give it to you if you really cant find here.

Good luck bud

Another thing to consider is the size of your brew kettle. I was under a little pressure from the wife (I went all grain pretty quick) about the "stuff" that kept appearing on the porch in boxes, so I went 8 gallon aluminum. SS/aluminum is another thread, but I would suggest a 9 or 10 gallon brew pot. I have to hold my head right, not breathe, hope the stars are aligned, etc. to not boil over doing a full wort boil right now with the 8 gallon.

I just got into AG . I also started buying the base malts in bulk. It is definitely cheaper buying grain in bulk than doing extract batches. Its also cheaper in the long haul getting hops in bulk. If you have a lhbs that has a grain mill you could convert for cheap. If not Corona mills are a cheap alternative.

I dont have a "proper" mash tun what I do is similar to the biab method. I have a nylon bag that I put my grains in but I still use a drink cooler. I still have the original spigot for now. I have a strainer that fits perfectly in the top and the handles keep it from going in. I lift the bag out and put it in the strainer after the intitial strike and again after the sparge. The remaining liquid drips out and lifting the bag makes the wort strain faster.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_463&products_id=12935

16 gallon SS brew pot. I doubt you find it cheaper on the web outside of the rare find 1on Ebay. 100 bones PLUS free shipping. And you help the guy work on starting his brewery (see my sig). Its a win win for everyone!

Once you buy that pot you can get some valves/disconnects/ etc to hook up to a whole system! I mean, at a $100 a pot you can have yourself a sweet pump action system in what, a year?

All you man! :)

A 16 gallon brew pot for $100? Dang. That's a good deal! I wish I had seen that when I was starting out (and knew enough to get a 16 gallon pot).

Me, back in February: "A 6-gallon pot should be big enough for 5 gallon batches, right?" Stupid, stupid, stupid. That was a pretty good waste of 80 bucks.

I do AG on the cheap. Turkey fryer and a modified 48qt Coleman cooler I already had. I did buy a grain mill and a refractometer though. I don't regret buying the grain mill one single bit. I get 50 lb sacks of base malt and don't have to worry about the crush (or waiting to have it done). Buying bulk base malts locally paid for it long ago.

Here is what I have done and totally loved it jumped to all grain and realized that making your recipes is a bit more changeling than you think but when you hit it ooohhhboy you hit it!!!

Back