Can LME go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emit31

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I purchased an extract kit about three weeks ago, and the liquid malt extract has been sitting in my garage since ( just realized this yesterday). Just wondering if anyone has had any adverse effects from LME sitting for awhile, or being exposed to sunlight? Thanks in advance.

It definitely can go bad. In three weeks, you should be alright especially if temps have stayed relatively low. Give it the look/smell test and go with it.

Next time keep it in the fridge until brewday.

I've made good beer with 7 year old (opened) LME. It was supposed to be extra light, but was really dark.

I gave up brewing for 7 years, and when I started back I used some of my old 'stuff' just to get my hand back in.

It might have some mold on top, but just scrape it off. The boil will kill anything you cant scrape off. I did the same thing, but left it in the pantry for 2mos. My oktoberfest turned out great.

I wound up with a cooper's can/yeast from June '09. Made a pretty decent ale out of it. Close to the Salvator doppel bock some 6-7 weeks in the bottle. I think mine was smoother though. The cooper's is/was in a can,so that helps to some extent. But I started putting all the LME's in the fridge with the yeast. Hops in the freezer. Def better/fresher.

hey thanks everyone for the replies, I brewed an IPA with the LME yesterday, it still looked fine and smelled normal, if it ends up destroying the brew I will let you know. I really think its fine though.

I've made good beer with 7 year old (opened) LME. It was supposed to be extra light, but was really dark.

I gave up brewing for 7 years, and when I started back I used some of my old 'stuff' just to get my hand back in.
I just finished brewing a "pale ale" with 4 year old LME. The wort did not come out
very pale, the LME was originally light but was quite dark out of the can. It tasted OK,
and I added 1 lb of DME (also 4 yrs old), so we'll see -- in the primary now!
At least I've used up all the old stuff now...
-batch

If it's not in a can, you should keep it in the refrigerator - if you're going to keep it more than about a month, you can pour a thin layer of vodka on top to prevent mold growth (it won't affect the taste of the beer).

Back