storing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
The sealer on my vacuum sealer is no longer working so that got me thinking a about alternate storage solution. I have heard that zip lock bags are not the ideal way to go, is this because of oxygen permeability? I was wondering about the press and seal bags, any thoughts?

Either one is going to miss the ability to remove the air from the bag. Put them in ziplocks and toss them in the freezer and you should be OK.

Before I got my vacuum sealer I simply double bagged my hops in ziplocs and tossed in the freezer. Never thought anything of it. Since getting the sealer last summer I've noticed a big difference in my hops. The smell still hits me in the face. Ziploc for now...but if you plan on keeping a lot of hops around the sealer is well worth the investment.

I use the ziploc vacuseal bags. If you make sure the zipper is free of hop dust (I use pellets, lots of dust) and stick a piece of tape over the vacuum port after you vacuum it out, it holds the seal well. I folded the tape over to make a handle for removal and reapplication and have yet to have any problems. My hops have not changed in color, they still seem as pungent as when I got them, and my freezer doesn't smell like hops so I don't think they are letting much if any go.

Cheap, somewhat laborious solution that allows me to save money buying bulk hops without spending another $100+ on a proper vacuum sealer.

You could get the Mason/kerr/ball jar attachment and plug that in your vacuum sealer, then you can reuse the jars indefinitely.

I use the ziploc vacuseal bags. If you make sure the zipper is free of hop dust (I use pellets, lots of dust) and stick a piece of tape over the vacuum port after you vacuum it out, it holds the seal well. I folded the tape over to make a handle for removal and reapplication and have yet to have any problems. My hops have not changed in color, they still seem as pungent as when I got them, and my freezer doesn't smell like hops so I don't think they are letting much if any go.

Cheap, somewhat laborious solution that allows me to save money buying bulk hops without spending another $100+ on a proper vacuum sealer.

The ziploc vacuum bags were very unreliable for me. Hope they work for ya.

You could get the Mason/kerr/ball jar attachment and plug that in your vacuum sealer, then you can reuse the jars indefinitely.

I have been thinking about getting these. It seems like those damn foodsaver make-your-own bags are so expensive. I learned to make the bag a bit larger than you think you are going to need it. That way, when I cut it open to grab a few oz of hops, I can still reseal it with the foodsaver.

For those using the Mason Jar's to store hops, are you noticing any degredation because of the amount of airspace/headspace in there? Or are you purging with CO2 or some other gas before sealing?

For those using the Mason Jar's to store hops, are you noticing any degredation because of the amount of airspace/headspace in there? Or are you purging with CO2 or some other gas before sealing?

It's a vacuum, there's no airspace relatively speaking. These small machines aren't really capable of pulling a true vacuum but still it's evacuated as much air from the jar as it would from a bag.

Back