Fermentation time help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2cmpugh

Reaction score
Good day everyone! Last night I brewed up this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/none-more-black-vanilla-stout-96969/, but at the recommendation of my LHBS I used 2lbs. of dry malt (to up the abv % and 7oz. of oats (mixed with the steeping grains for 35 mins).

After I brewed everything up and mixed well, I took an OG reading and it came back as 1.070. Now my question is this, will my FG be the same AND should I still use the 2 week primary and 1 week secondary? Or, should I extend those times a bit?

Also, I pitched the yeast at 70F, but we keep the house in the mid 60's. Will keeping it at 65F be ok? I put some xmas lights wrapped around and then a towel around the lights to add a bit heat....and it's festive.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Cris P.

I think I would just do 3 week primary and no secondary. Never used that particular strain but mid 60's is perfect for most ale yeasts.

65 degrees should be OK if you used the 004 yeast. White labs says between 65-68. Your FG may end up a little higher. The yeast will only attenuate so much, lets say 70%. So there is a correlation between the OG and the FG. With a stout I wouldn't bother to secondary. Just do a 3 week primary. Clarity (although a secondary isn't necessary for clarity) will not be an issue anyway.

Sorry I didn't see the vanilla. You could probably still just primary but I would move to a secondary like you proposed. When I did my oatmeal stout it was something like 3 weeks primary and than one week on the vanillia in the secondary. You'll be fine.

Back