EdWort's Apfelwein bump to 3lbs sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
I'm going to follow the great Edworts Apfelwien recipe this year. I picked up six lb's of dex and my LHBS.

I'm seeing he's getting an ABV of 9% I want to kick that up. Anyone else rocketize this recipe? I'm thinking another Lb should bring me over 10%.

any thoughts on this? Maybe 4lbs?

:drunk:

Yeah it will be very dry, I just sampled a hard cider i have going that consists of 5 gallons fresh pressed cider and 3 pound dextrose. It's OG was 1.075 and the reading i just got after 6 weeks 0.990 It's definitively got a bit of an alcohol burn to it.

Yeah it will be very dry, I just sampled a hard cider i have going that consists of 5 gallons fresh pressed cider and 3 pound dextrose. It's OG was 1.075 and the reading i just got after 6 weeks 0.990 It's definitively got a bit of an alcohol burn to it.

sweet that's exactly the feedback I was looking for:mug:

Wild Irish Rose is sooooo much cheaper.

I never heard of Irish Rose before so I looked it up. Come on dude this is not boons farm,or Cisco, there is a much better quality. I see a cut off where people go from quality to rocket fuel (9% to 10+) 2-3% us hard core alcoholics can still tell the difference.:ban:

www.bumwine.com

For the amount of money you are going to put into this batch, you could get a lightly used sleeping bag and a member's only jacket from Good Will, and have enough left over for 6 quick-picks and 5 gallons of Night Train.

In all seriousness, if you boost the gravity, you really need to use yeast nutrient in staggered additions because you are in wine territory.... not really cider. Without it, you really are making hooch. You need to be very careful about your temperatures as well, during fermentation. One day with temps too high during primary can add 6 months to your aging process. Even if you do the recipe verbatim, you should take great care. Peruse the wine forum and even here in Cider.... there are countless topics about "Why does EAW taste like ...... what did I do wrong" and such.

I've made close to 50 gallons of cider/apple wine and I've never used yeast nutrient and have never had a bad batch. I've had apple wine over 13% ABV. Cost of 6 gallons for fresh pressed cider 27$ 2.18 per lb for the dextros. and under a dollar for the yeast.

I've even left five gallons out once and it started to ferment on it's own in the gallon jugs they came in, threw it all into a 5 gallon pale and it still came out fine. I've also never used sulfite or camp tablets.

I'm gonna make two batches on edworts stuff this year one with his exact recipe and another with extra sugar.

It's fall here now Temps will never get above 70 in the room I'm using.

You are clearly the expert. Instead of asking for opinions, why don't you just tell us how it's going to be?

Make it 5 pounds of dextrose. Go for it. You aren't getting any younger. You don't want to look back on your life and wonder what would have happened if you had added that extra pound. Do you?

www.bumwine.com

For the amount of money you are going to put into this batch, you could get a lightly used sleeping bag and a member's only jacket from Good Will, and have enough left over for 6 quick-picks and 5 gallons of Night Train.

Bums get no respect on their choice of beverages. That's "Night Train Express" BTW, for the distinguishing connoisseur.

You are clearly the expert. Instead of asking for opinions, why don't you just tell us how it's going to be?

Make it 5 pounds of dextrose. Go for it. You aren't getting any younger. You don't want to look back on your life and wonder what would have happened if you had added that extra pound. Do you?

wasn't trying to insult you. I got the feed back I was looking for from one of the posters in here. I'm no expert just lucky so far with the cider. I appreciate your feedback/opinion in all seriousness.

I did a 5 gallon batch of HARD Cider last year and the few bottles I have left are hot to trot, but very drinkable. It's kinda like the Apelwein recipe...but not.

5-gallons UV Treated Fresh Pressed Apple Cider
3-lbs Local Alfalfa Honey
3-lbs Brown Sugar
2 Packets Dry Champagne Yeast
Bottled with .25 cup Priming Sugar, .5 cup Brown Sugar

Simmer .5 gallon of cider to around 125 degrees to stir in honey and Brown Sugar.
Dump in Primary,
Dump in rest of cider,
Dump in Yeast,
Wait 3-4 weeks,
Bottle.

OG: 1.074
FG: 0.996
ABV: 13.9%

Now, Just using 4 gallons cider, .75 lb of honey, and 1 lb brown sugar.
1 Vile White Labs English Cider Yeast
Waiting until Ferments to ~ 6% ABV, then Potassium Sorbate, Racking to 2ndry, adding two cans of apple juice concentrate for sweet apple flavor, and dry hopping with 2-5 cinnamon sticks for 2 weeks. Then using a clarifyer, and kegging!

I'll let ya know how it turns out!

I've got one in the carboy now that i used 4lbs with. OG was 1.078 and after 2 weeks im a 0.997. I used the cote de blanc yeast though (as recomended by the guy at my LBS) OG of the apple juice before the sugar was 1.046

From OG at 1.074 and FG at 0.996 its something around 10% abv not 14

I did a 5 gallon batch of HARD Cider last year and the few bottles I have left are hot to trot, but very drinkable. It's kinda like the Apelwein recipe...but not.

5-gallons UV Treated Fresh Pressed Apple Cider
3-lbs Local Alfalfa Honey
3-lbs Brown Sugar
2 Packets Dry Champagne Yeast
Bottled with .25 cup Priming Sugar, .5 cup Brown Sugar

Simmer .5 gallon of cider to around 125 degrees to stir in honey and Brown Sugar.
Dump in Primary,
Dump in rest of cider,
Dump in Yeast,
Wait 3-4 weeks,
Bottle.

OG: 1.074
FG: 0.996
ABV: 13.9%

Now, Just using 4 gallons cider, .75 lb of honey, and 1 lb brown sugar.
1 Vile White Labs English Cider Yeast
Waiting until Ferments to ~ 6% ABV, then Potassium Sorbate, Racking to 2ndry, adding two cans of apple juice concentrate for sweet apple flavor, and dry hopping with 2-5 cinnamon sticks for 2 weeks. Then using a clarifyer, and kegging!

I'll let ya know how it turns out!

From OG at 1.074 and FG at 0.996 its something around 10% abv not 14

I was writing this post from my office without my brewing notes trying to remember the OG, FG, and ABV. It didn't seem right either so I got home and took a look...and then saw your post cciszew.

Here's my actual readings:

OG: 1.087 = PABV 12.1%
FG: 0.992 = FABV -1.0%

ABV: 13.1%

Back