Storing Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KBrewG

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted some tips on storing hops. Just bought a oz of hops but recipe only requires a 1/4 oz. Any good way to keep the rest? It is in pellet form

opps...wrong forum...

Seal them up in the bag they came in an throw them in the freezer. They'll be fine for months. Texts will say they will lose some alpha acid, but on a homebrewing scale, you won't even notice.

How long can you keep the sealed hop packages out without putting them in the freezer? Tring to figure out my brewing schedule and if I need to throw the hops in the freezer or not.

How long can you keep the sealed hop packages out without putting them in the freezer? Tring to figure out my brewing schedule and if I need to throw the hops in the freezer or not.

Toss them in the freezer.
Best way is to always store your hops cold, if you can't freeze them at least put them in a refrigerator. What you want to avoid is wild temperature swings or very warm temps.

For my excess pellets, I found these great little 3 oz rubbermaid type tupperware containers with sealed lids. I put my leftover pellets in these and label them what type, AA content, and when I bought them. Then I store these small containers together in a larger sealed tupperware container in the Vegetable drawer of my bee fridge.

For whole hops I have a vaccuum packer deal (Food Saver) I just seal them in new vac bags and put those in another large sealed tupperware type container in the bottom vegetable drawer.

Back