fermentation chamber + keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slakwhere

Reaction score
hey all,

i've been reading about how important temp control is as well as how easy kegging is compared to bottling. i understand that if i'm lagering i can totally keep a keezer in the 40's and have kegs on tap in there as well?

i assume i can cold crash new wort while there is beer on tap in the keezer and it will just cause the kegged beer to pour a bit colder. anything wrong with this thinking?

i assume i can lager in there and simply have the beer pour a couple degrees warmer while this is happening? seem resasonable?

is it a reasonable place to store beer that has been taken out of secondary and kegged? or should it be stored warmer/colder?

I don't see why it wouldn't work, to me it seems like its just a matter of logistics and scheduling which is dependent on your processes and equipment. For example, with my system I have a 4 tap freezer chest which can hold 4 cornies. If I decide to lager something (be it in a carboy or a half barrel), it cuts my serving capacity in half, and the serving temp is dependent on what temp is needed for the lager. SWMBO likes to have parties and likes it when I have all 4 taps running for such an event, which creates a problem for me (in more than one way), hence the careful scheduling of brews around her parties. The only other issue I can think of is carbonation since it is heavily reliant on temperature, that is if you are force carbing. If these are not issues for you, then go for it. If you are building a serving system and getting into kegging, then I would advise building something a bit bigger than you currently need... I wish I would have. Bottom line is, evaluate your serving systems/equipment and lagering processes and create a schedule that will allow them to co-operate, and don't build yourself into a corner with equipment that isn't flexible enough for your needs.

Does your swmbo have a sister? I like her style!!

All good thngs to think about. I will consider them all for sure :)

Back