Secondary Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm new to the home brewing & wine making game; did my reading & research and now I've got my first wine kit in progress. Currently, it's in secondary fermentation now but I'm curious about temperatures.

I haven't procured a heating belt because primary fermentation seemed to go just fine but I've moved the carboy for secondary fermentation to a slightly cooler area of the house - mainly to keep our...darling cats away from it :p

The temperature is fairly constant, hovering around 17.5C (63.5F) - the temp for primary was between 18-19C (64.4-66.2F).

I guess I'm worried that this temperature is too low for secondary fermentation and despite my searching it's hard to find a consensus on things like temperature - sanitizing seems to be the only point everyone agrees on :) - I guess the differing opinions is what makes it an art form more than a science.

But I'd like to pick your brains with regard to this scenario, it's an RJ Spagnols Strawberry White Zinfandel kit. Is 17.5C (63.5F) too low for secondary fermentation or will it just ferment at a slower rate? Should I go ahead and grab the heating belt? Or am I worrying about nothing? :confused:

I can see that the air lock has been moving, when I check on it, it's never in the same place twice - but I never hear it going. I am officially a victim of my own ignorance.

Apologies for the wall of text...tis my nature. :)

Back