Burner, how many BTUs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
So, the building of the brewery continues and the BTU question comes up now. I'm still searching but thus far the highest amount of BTUs I can find in a burner is around 42675 BTUs. They're listed as KW here and it's at 12.5. And even then, I may have to drive to Slovenija to get it. As I said, still searching.

I read this page here:

How many BTUs does my burner need? - Beer, Wine, Homebrew, and Everything Fermentable! - fermentarium.com

And according to their math, if I had 50% efficiency with a starting volume of 7.5 gallons and a 6 gallon finish (just rounding off numbers basically), the math would go like this:

7.5 x 1178.6 = 8839.5.

1.5 gallons of evaporation would add 12,000 to it.

So:

12,000 + 8839.5 = 20839.5

50% efficiency doubles it, so I end up with 41679 total needed IF I'm at 50% efficiency (this is to achieve a boil in one hour). With a winter brew session, efficiency would be lower. But this math also assumes that I am going to go from 70 to 212 for the boil. My mash out will be 167 or something. So, it'd be, what, going from 150 to 212 at worst? BUT, I just don't have experience with weaker burners. The one I had in the States was pretty strong though I cannot recall what it was rated at.

So, the question is, are there people here with burners in the 42k BTU range? And how do they perform? I can guess people will say I should get a stronger burner, but it might be very expensive to do that. As it is, this 12.5 KW one will be 130 euros or something which is a ripoff. I don't think the propane fittings are the same here as in the US. Maybe the same as in the rest of Europe. But even then, the mail order ones I see that are in the range of 25 KW (ie, 85350 BTUs) are like 400 Euros. At least the ones I saw thus far.

Still searching, but wondering if people have hands on experience with burners around the range I'm looking at. I don't do ten gallon batches. Usually finish around 6.

Also, if anyone has any leads on mail order for this kind of stuff in Europe that's not such a ripoff, or also I can drive to Austria, Italy, Slovenija or Hungary. Just don't know where to look.

Thanks for any insight.

I believe mine is in the 40k BTU range. I only ever turn it up all the way to reach a boil, then run at about 1/4 power for the rest of the boil. I used to boil 6+ gallons on a 14k range burner. Took a while, but worked fine and made some great beer.

I think wind will make more difference than cold.

Thanks guys. It's not so much that I'd be in a hurry. I'm more concerned that a proper, rolling boil is achieved. I don't want a weak boil.

I think where I'll be boiling, wind won't be so bad. It's a very small terrace with a wall there. And the wall is solid, so while there can be wind, it's got to come in from above. The terrace is only 47 cm by 150 cm, so I don't have much space to work with. Likely I'll mash inside the apartment, then runoff to the outside kettle.

I got three of these to put in the brew sculpture im building and with a 30psi regulator it is more than enough for a 26gal kettle it brings it to a roling boil in about 35 min

here is the item no. to the guy on ebay I got them from I just called him and he combined shipping got them for about 50 bucks for three he has the 30psi regulators too.

Thanks, but I'm not in the U.S. This guy says he ships only to the States. And, I'm not sure if the fittings are the same here, if the propane is the same here etc. Still looking into that particular one. But thanks!

Speaking of which, does anybody know what the European and American standards are for propane burners? Wondering if an American burner *can* be used here without a problem. I seem to remember the burners here saying which kind of propane tank they take and that they weren't all the same as each other. I'm having no luck trying to find this info online.

How is it in Zagreb? My brother is from a small town near there, now lives here. I have 54,000, and only open the regulator halfway and it works great. Takes about 15 mins to boil 6+ gallons.

How is it in Zagreb? My brother is from a small town near there, now lives here. I have 54,000, and only open the regulator halfway and it works great. Takes about 15 mins to boil 6+ gallons.

I like it here myself. Bit slower life than the States but I like it. Where's your brother from?

Thanks for the info on your burner too. Sounds good.

Back