Yeast thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ferment a Pilsener wort with a neutral yeast, it will taste much the same. Any ale yeast selected for the flavors it adds will change the result.

What are you trying to accomplish?

I want Pilsner flavor, but dont have the option of fermenting at cold temps. thanx for the responses so far!
Zac

What the other guys said. Yes you can take a lager recipe and ferment it with a clean ale yeast. Will it be good? Sure it will. Will it be a lager? No. You will get some of the same basic flavors from the malt and hops but the beer will be an ale. Lager yeasts eat some sugars that ale yeasts do not so the body will never be as smooth and clean. Ale yeasts, even clean ones, produce esters that lager yeasts do not so there will always be a trace of "aleness" to the beer. This is not a bad thing it is just the way it is. If you do not have the ability to lager go ahead and brew the beer this way. It will still be enjoyable and most of your friends will not notice the difference. :mug:

I brewed a 5 gallon All-grain batch of a psuedo pilsner a while back using nottingham yeast, pretty good stuff it was gone in 2 weeks... it was no where near a lager but it did have similar charecter to it..... i think mashing at the lower end really helped keep it dry like a lager... that might have been what did it though....

Back