Adding rice with your grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadguylova

Reaction score
A friend of mine adds rice flakes with his batches to increase alcohol and smooth out the flavor. Does anyone have input/suggestions on this? Thanks!

Yeah, it works. It's also helpful, mostly if you use a bazooka screen I think, by acting as a filter and keeping husks and whatnot from escaping into your brew kettle.

Yeah, it works. It's also helpful, mostly if you use a bazooka screen I think, by acting as a filter and keeping husks and whatnot from escaping into your brew kettle.

:confused:
Hm.
Flaked rice = adjunct (non-malt fermentable):

Rice hulls = lautering aid:

Rice flakes will increase your ABV without added much if any flavor, also plain old minute rice works as well. They both give beer a bit of dryness as well (like bud).

It will work, and in small amounts you probably won't notice a change. If it's used in a lighter beer, or overused, it can thin and dry the beer. As ol' rummie said, it's essential in brewing BMC clones.

So how much would be considered overusing it? I bought a 1lb package today to use with two brews my friend and I are making (an Irish Red and a Pale Ale).

IMO a 1 lb package to use w/ two brew is a very small percentage of the grain bill. I believe that will not change the brews profile much at all. Others are adding several pounds to a 5 gal batch for a bud type brew.

Would you ever want to use rice in extract brewing?

You need the enzymes present in the barley grains to convert the rice starch to fermentable sugar. Adjuncts such as rice do not lend themselves well to extract brewing. I know my LHBS sells rice syrup for use in extract brewing?

The desire to add it is up to you.

When I helped brew at my local (relative term) brewpub we did a blonde ale, and the brewer used a grain bill that was about 1/8 to 1/4 rice. He had only used it once or twice before, and he said that he was curious if it would dry out his blonde a little more (he's playing to the BMC crowd). I was happy that he used three additions of Liberty though, at least he's not pussing out on the hops! Once I get my fermentation temp control down, I think I'll try a few lighter ales for the masses. Depending on how the blonde comes out, I think I'll use his recipe with the rice.

When I helped brew at my local (relative term) brewpub we did a blonde ale, and the brewer used a grain bill that was about 1/8 to 1/4 rice. He had only used it once or twice before, and he said that he was curious if it would dry out his blonde a little more (he's playing to the BMC crowd). I was happy that he used three additions of Liberty though, at least he's not pussing out on the hops! Once I get my fermentation temp control down, I think I'll try a few lighter ales for the masses. Depending on how the blonde comes out, I think I'll use his recipe with the rice.

The Rice addition in a Blonde Ale Extract recipe is 1lb of Rice Syrup Solids. I am going to start one on Tuesday evening. Would already be going except I grabbed the wrong WL yeast vial when I was at the LHBS. I am also substituting the Extra Light DME for Pilsen Extra Light DME.

Salute! :mug:

Back