Looking for the most fuel-efficient used car under $10,000 and 100,000 miles....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbajista

Reaction score
Longtime lurker here, looking for some advice from the boards.

SWMBO and I are in need of a new car, and I want to get something that can compete with these high gas prices. We have budgeted around $10,000 with our bank for a used car, and the vehicle must be under 100,000 and a 2000 model or younger. I know that the low amount of money we've budgeted limits the choices, but I just need something to get us through my last year of Nursing School, after which we can definitely afford something better.

I've found two manual 2005 Honda Civic EX vehicles nearby that are both around 50,000 or 60,000 miles and $9000. According to Kelley Blue Book, a vehicle of this year and mileage should be upwards of $12,000-$15,000.

I'll be window-shopping on Tuesday the 19th of August. I'm 99% sure I want this particular year and model due to its rating of 32-38 mpg (manual trans).

Here's a photo of the model:

1hgem22925l021361-1.jpg

Do any of you have experience with this particular model? Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks!

I have a 1993 Chevy Cavalier that gets 35MPG driving back and forth to work. I paid $500 and it has 155K Miles. I'm thinking you can do a lot better than I did with $10,000.
Matter of fact...I'd just go for one of those super cheap brand new cars that are in your price range, they are not super cool...and not exactly a Luxury, but they do have warranty.

Well, I should have also said that we can afford at least a $200-$250 car payment, and I'd like to get something that will last me a few years, not only just this next year. I figure that a Civic with 50,000 should last at least another 12ish years and 200,000 if I take care of it. I thought about something cheap from a buy-here-pay-here, but I'd rather go with a bank loan for a more expensive car to have more reliability and build credit.

+1 on the kia or even waiting a couple months for the 2008 clearance. If your handy and can find them a metro/swift with the 1.0l 3cyl in good shape. and spend a couple thousand in redoing the front end motor and tranny with rebuilt unit's and youll get 45 to 55 mpg or a honda crx hf and same thing as the geo/suzuki. I also had a 99 cavalier i put 200k miles on it and was still getting 25+ intown and on the highway with my heavy foot 30+ but the chevys do some some issues with thier intake manifolds and leaky coolant. i started to have the issue and sold the vehicle and bought a 2001 5.9l dodge quad cab. =(. =( because i went from 30 mpg to 12 2 years ago. lucky i also have a little ninja 250 for back and forth to work most of the year and a suzuki sidekick for winter

vw jetta diesel...you will get 50 mpg and you could easily find one in great shape in your price range

i have a 2000 vr6 but ive driven the tdi's and they are nice not to mention they are the perfect candidate for a greasecar conversion

where do you live? You can't touch a VW diesel for sale around here, period, let alone cheap.

vw jetta diesel...you will get 50 mpg and you could easily find one in great shape in your price range

i have a 2000 vr6 but ive driven the tdi's and they are nice not to mention they are the perfect candidate for a greasecar conversion

I haven't seen any VW Jetta deisels around here for less than $15,000.....

where do you live? You can't touch a VW diesel for sale around here, period, let alone cheap.

Central Florida, and I'm seeing the exact same thing. I looked into getting a Jetta, but at this point I can't manage the scratch. Maybe later, when I get out of school....

I'm really looking for longevity, too. I know a lot of people are happy with their Kia/Mits/etc., but I haven't heard of too many people keeping them around for 200,000+ miles. I plan on running this next vehicle as long as I can. I don't really want to buy a car and then have to spend several K's to re-do anything.

I think this thread is moot. I'm pretty much sold on the '05 civic......:ban:

Get a Honda. They're reliable, last a long time, and their resale value is a cut above the rest. For 13 years, I've owned all Hondas and have been very happy with them, so obviously I'm biased, but having just traded in my 2000 Civic w/ 130,000 miles and getting $2800 for it (dealer trade-in) made me a true believer in the whole resale value thing.

+1 on the Civic. I owned a '00 Si that was a great car. The only mechanical issue I ever had with it was an O2 sensor that went bad (under warranty). I had tuned it a bit and had some low profile tires on it (yeah, yeah...spare me the ricer comments) so the mileage suffered a bit. Still managed to get around 27mpg mixed driving and I was what you'd call a "spirited driver." "We" traded it in for a Honda Fit last year. Needed more space for an upcoming cross country move and the extra gas mileage in the Fit (I've averaged 35mpg over 14k miles) doesn't hurt. Still, I miss the Civic and wish "We" had traded "Our" Sentra instead. :p
As far as a good mileage car goes, you can get a Fit with a manual for around $15.5k new. I have made 42mpg on an exceptional leg with mine. It was all highway and loaded down with 600lbs of comic books and computers. Not sure on the used market for the Fit, but it might also be an option for you.

Terje

if you don't have to stick to the 2000+ model year rule, you can pick up an early-mid 90s civic for next to nothing and it will beat the newer civics in gas mileage. i've heard of several getting close to 50 mpg highway.

The Jetta diesel good deal at 50mpg vs 35mpg is shrinking; if the gap between diesel/gas price continues to widened the good deal may be gone. A couple of days ago I bought gas and noticed I was paying 3.449 while diesel was 4.259. At (for example) 35mpg vs 50mpg, it's still a savings of about $130/10,000 miles, but could fade if the gap widens much more. I've never owned a diesel, but didn't diesel used to be cheaper than regular gas?

I'd suggest, as others have mentioned, watch for a new car deal. My son (with our help) bought a new Hyundai for around $13K that gets better than 30mpg. When he first mentioned a Hyundai, I thought "no way; piece of junk." Did some research and found out they have improved dramatically. Safe, multiple air bags, roomy; nice car for the price. Resale isn't much (so even better if you are buying in the used market) but if you plan to keep it long term, not a problem.

Rick

I've seen some '01 Golf TDIs in and around 10K locally lately but they get snapped up pretty fast...course, they usually have around 100K on the clock.

Honda Civics are hard to beat. My 1989 was getting 43 mpg at 204,000 miles. I would still have it, but California couldn't find my title; even though I purchased the car new IN California. So, I couldn't register it in Oregon.:mad:

+1 on the Civic. I owned a '00 Si that was a great car. The only mechanical issue I ever had with it was an O2 sensor that went bad (under warranty). I had tuned it a bit and had some low profile tires on it (yeah, yeah...spare me the ricer comments) so the mileage suffered a bit. Still managed to get around 27mpg mixed driving and I was what you'd call a "spirited driver." "We" traded it in for a Honda Fit last year. Needed more space for an upcoming cross country move and the extra gas mileage in the Fit (I've averaged 35mpg over 14k miles) doesn't hurt. Still, I miss the Civic and wish "We" had traded "Our" Sentra instead. :p
As far as a good mileage car goes, you can get a Fit with a manual for around $15.5k new. I have made 42mpg on an exceptional leg with mine. It was all highway and loaded down with 600lbs of comic books and computers. Not sure on the used market for the Fit, but it might also be an option for you.

Terje

I am intrigued by the Honda Fit, as I've seen quite a few around town lately. Nice looking car with impressive specs. Unfortunately, it's a bit out of my price range at this point.

I am intrigued by the Honda Fit, as I've seen quite a few around town lately. Nice looking car with impressive specs. Unfortunately, it's a bit out of my price range at this point.

Aww, too bad. That's what I traded my 2000 Civic for back in March. With the trade I ended up paying a little over $12,000. I love it. The back seats fold forward to create a complete flat-bed, so lots of room for hauling things. I got the base Fit (stick-shift), since the only thing the "Sport" model had that I thought was important was an Auxiliary Input jack (mp3) for the stereo. But, the base model has the "hole" for it and the stereo has an "Aux" button. So I ordered the jack for under $50.00 and, after some research, figured out how to wire it (not straight forward at all), removed the radio/dashboard and installed it myself. It works great and I'm glad I didn't spend the extra $2,000 or whatever for the Sport model.

Latest posts

Back