Poopwater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatanPrinceOfDarkness

Reaction score
So my sewer just backed up and some of my equipment got poop water on it. My carboys, some tubing, the bottling bucket, and some airlocks. Oh and a sachet of yeast.

Ewww.

Anyway, anything special I need to do to clean this stuff'? I'm thinking about just throwing out the plastic stuff. I assume normal cleaning and sanitation procedures will work for the glass? Is it worth trying to salvage the plastic stuff?

@Zuljin He's our resident poopwater expert.

I'd chuck all the plastic if it were me. Glass might be ok. Just don't tell anybody who'll be drinking your beer about this incident.

It'll be our little secret.

Pitch the plastic. Clean, clean, clean, and sanitize the glass.
Get you a shelf to keep the stuff off the floor because *hit happens.

Ours backed up last summer. Nothing got to the brewery, but guess where the access port was that the plumber needed to use the snake? That thing flung poop water all over the place. The little bit of equipment it got on, I tossed because it was mostly cheap stuff (tubing, one gallon wine jugs, floor mat). I mixed up a bleach solution and cleaned the hell out of the floor/walls/shelves and anything to expensive to repurchase and then sprayed on some sanitizer. I haven't noticed any I'll effects in the past year.

On the bright side, you've got yourself a pretty catchy new theme for your brewery.

"Poop-Water Pale Ale"
"****-Stain Stout"
"Cesspool Saison"
"Boom-Boom Bitter"
"Septic Schwarzbier"
"Crappy Cream Ale"
"Pissy Pilsner"
"Fecal Flanders"
"Diarrhea Dopplebock"
"Sewage Scotch Ale"
"Pinched-Loaf Porter"
"Nutty Brown"
"Corny California Common"
"Assy Altbier"
"Dungheap Dunkel"
"Wastewater Weizen"
"Deuces Dortmunder"

Your friends and neighbors will all be clamoring for a pint.

So my sewer just backed up and some of my equipment got poop water on it. My carboys, some tubing, the bottling bucket, and some airlocks. Oh and a sachet of yeast.

Ewww.

Anyway, anything special I need to do to clean this stuff'? I'm thinking about just throwing out the plastic stuff. I assume normal cleaning and sanitation procedures will work for the glass? Is it worth trying to salvage the plastic stuff?

How in the hell high did this backup get? Does your bathroom have a submarine door on it? Do you keep your brewing gear inside the commode? Don't keep your brewing gear inside the commode.

Actually, I wouldn't worry about it. Aint nothing in poop you didn't eat. You were okay with that stuff being inside you once before.

similar?

DSC01746.JPG

What do you normally do to clean your hands after using the bathroom (or even worse, a public bathroom), changing diapers, cleaning the bathroom or doing work on the sewer pipes and before eating or preparing food?

Do you think you need to do that much more than that to clean equipment?

;)

How in the hell high did this backup get? Does your bathroom have a submarine door on it? Do you keep your brewing gear inside the commode? Don't keep your brewing gear inside the commode.

Actually, I wouldn't worry about it. Aint nothing in poop you didn't eat. You were okay with that stuff being inside you once before.

The water backed up in the basement, filled the utility sink and then overflowed that splashing to the floor. Covered about half the basement. I keep the full carboys on that floor and my bottling bucket. The bottoms got wet.

I tossed the tubing that I'd left on the floor near the sink.

Back