I Quit Smoking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I smoked cigarettes from 1968 ( 21 y.o.) to November 29, 1982 at 11:59 PM. ( 35 y.o. ) . I had tried cutting back, low tar brands, pipes, etc... Finally just decided to quit cold turkey as a birthday gift to myself, and a gift to the daughter we were expecting the following June. I still miss it occasionally. Ironically if I walk out onto the deck on a beautiful clear morning and take a nice deep breath of fresh air,...the next thought is ... a cigarette would sure taste good. But I don't do it. My crutch is now water. A few mouthfuls and the urge goes away.

Pardon the bump.

I visited my brothers (younger) in California last month. One of my brothers, who started smoking when I did had quit for these e-cigs. He "puffed" one occasionally. It's a really odd thing, the vapes. but it's much, much better than the cigs. I'm really happy he did that, I hope to grow old with him.

It's tough sometimes, quit January 2014. I'm thirty-two and smoked sincee I was sixteen. Used to have solid cravings especially while drinking until this last June when I lost my dad at 55 years old to lung cancer. That really sealed the deal. Congratulations guy, I to enjoyed it, but for now we are better off without them.

Been trying to quit for some time now- funny this is i dont smoke when i dont drink, at all, but as soon as ive had a few beers i want a cig. I tried vaping but its not the same for me.

I do want to quit, the few times i have resisited a cig while drinking the hangover the next day was so much better. I think when you smoke the hangovers are much worse. It might be just me tho.

Havent had one since saturday night. 3 days, its a start

I quit with ecigs. Took me about a full year... then I puffed on the ecig just because it was fun. Now I'm nic free. Just use the ecig to fill a habit.

Currently 8 weeks without a cigarette thanks to the vape and a weekend cigar. First few days sucked even at the max nicotine level on the vape. I've stepped down the level once now and plan on another step in the near future. Feels pretty good so far and the vape has curbed cravings for real cigs even when drinking or around others while they're smoking. I recommend them to anyone trying to quit.

Been trying to quit for some time now- funny this is i dont smoke when i dont drink, at all, but as soon as ive had a few beers i want a cig. I tried vaping but its not the same for me.

I do want to quit, the few times i have resisited a cig while drinking the hangover the next day was so much better. I think when you smoke the hangovers are much worse. It might be just me tho.

Havent had one since saturday night. 3 days, its a start

Agreed. I found that even secondhand smoke makes hangovers worse.

Does anyone have a favorite e-cig brand? My father is on day 3 and climbing the walls... thought maybe I'd help him out.

I smoked for 7 years (14-21). I also quit cold turkey about 9 years ago. I smoke cigars now though.... i have maybe 1-2 a week. i cant stand the smell of cigarette smoke now but a good cigar is heavenly.

Started smoking in my teens, on Friday nights before football games. There was quite a gang of us, so the "peer pressure" aspect was in full force for sure.
Easy to hide back then from the parents, both smoked and the house smelled of it for sure.

College came along and that was when the habit really seemed to kick into high gear. More drinking which went oddly better with a smoke in the other hand.:tank:
Added stress of college made the habit more prevalent and a female friend once told me that the appetite suppressant aspect of smoking helped her avoid the "freshman 15". Odd logic now that we both look back on it.

Started phasing out smoking in my mid 20's when I was bartending and was so busy that did not have the time to smoke while at work.
The thing that I noticed at that point was that I could spend an entire 10 hours shift at the bar, smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes and wake up the next morning coughing and feeling like I had smoked 3 packs of cigs, simply because of ALL the second-hand smoke at the bar. I once looked at pics that a friend took of a party at the bar and you could barely see through the fog of cigarette smoke to the dance floor. The effects of other peoples smoke began to creep into my thoughts.
Then NY state made it so that you could not smoke in the bar because it also was a restaurant. Suddenly having a cigarette outside on the porch when it was 10 below and windy did not have such an allure as it once did.

Quit for good 7 years ago, 1 week before the birth of my daughter. I had planned on it, but the wife put the ultimatum down. I think it was worded kinda like this: " You will quit smoking today!"
Funny how that works... To this day, I argue that I did it for my daughter cuz I will not admit that my wife has that much power.

Over the past 7 years, I have had 4 separate "accidents"
(that's what the smoking cessation counselor at work says that we can call them)
The last of which was 2 years ago and ONE single drag of a cigarette made me simultaneously happy and violently dizzy and ill.

I now find the very smell repulsive and can honestly say that I will never start smoking again..... BUT

I fight the demon on an almost daily basis....... There is still something about 2 aspects of smoking that can still give me a twitch:

1) The smell and sound of a cigarette being lit by a ZIPPO lighter

2) The smell of the first whiff of a newly lit cigarette.

My only focus is that my 2 children understand that I have made the mistake FOR THEM and that they need not make it.:)

I think I've mentioned it before on this thread that I have personally and privately apologized to each of my four daughters for forcing them to inhale second-hand cigarette smoke as they were growing up. I quit in 2001, when they were 23, 20, 18 and 16. I mentioned it again this summer at #3's wedding, just to let them know that even thirteen years later, it still bothers me that I put them through that.

glenn514:mug:

I started smoking at about 15 (1985) and quit July 1, 2012. The day after my dad called to tell me he was having triple by-pass surgery 3 weeks later. I had been "thinking about it" and "trying" for years, but for some reason, that hit me. I finished the pack I had open and never bought another one. Cold turkey. My 4 kids couldn't have been happier, although I never smoked in an enclosed place near them. Meaning never in the house or car, but I would smoke on my porch and if they came outside, I wouldn't put one out. When my son started smoking a few years back, I said I wished he wouldn't, but didn't have much of a leg to stand on. He doesn't smoke now, but he does use Snus. Whatever. I smoke cigars a few times a week, but don't get anything near that satisfaction of a cigarette. I enjoy a cigar. Immensely. But just as a nice way to relax with a beer after work. Cigarettes were the greatest though. One-two packs a day and even more when drinking. I do miss smoking but am really glad I quit.

Anyone noticed that former smokers seem to be able to smell smokers better than non smokers do? I havent smoked in practically 10 years and can smell thw slightest amount of cigarette smoke on people. Or can tell they hang around smokers where the non smokers tent to not detect it.

Does anyone have a favorite e-cig brand? My father is on day 3 and climbing the walls... thought maybe I'd help him out.

To test the concept out, you can get a disposable e-cig at a drug store or gas station for less than $10. The disposables are like the Mr. Beer of vaping. All the disposables are ok but I think Blu is the best of the bunch.

If he gets into it, he'll want to get a battery mod and tank set up and order his e-liquid to taste. Think of it as going all grain.

Vapers, like brewers, debate which equipment is best. It's a personal thing. That said, I love my set-up.

I buy my e-liquid locally- this is good because I know what they are putting in the bottle and I can ask them to adjust the nicotine level and flavor strength to suite my mood.

Equipment-wise, my battery mod is this: http://www.joyetech.com/product/eVic.php I got it on e-bay to save money, but be careful buying e-cigs on ebay because there are counterfeits out there.

My tank is this: http://www.kangeronline.com/blogs/kangertech-media-release/11593037-kanger-aerotank-available I got it at my local vape shop. I could have saved five bucks buying on line, but I like my local shop.

Anyone noticed that former smokers seem to be able to smell smokers better than non smokers do? I havent smoked in practically 10 years and can smell thw slightest amount of cigarette smoke on people. Or can tell they hang around smokers where the non smokers tent to not detect it.

I notice it a lot more now than I ever used to. Stale smoke has always smelled nasty. But otherwise it smells awesome. I want that to go away but I don't know if it will.

Just passed a year and a half smoke free literally a few days ago.

This kinda made me chuckle as I totally believe it to be true. I've been smoke free for 7 years now, and can smell lit cigs from the car ahead of me if I'm riding my motorcycle.

I notice it a lot more now than I ever used to. Stale smoke has always smelled nasty. But otherwise it smells awesome. I want that to go away but I don't know if it will.

The stale smoke smell was the only reason I had to trade my pickup truck. Tried steam cleaning the entire interior but that made it worse. Asked about getting it professionally done and was told that it was close to impossible. Even the car dealerships cannot rid the vehicle of that smell.

This kinda made me chuckle as I totally believe it to be true. I've been smoke free for 7 years now, and can smell lit cigs from the car ahead of me if I'm riding my motorcycle.

Riding in the car one day about a year or so ago and I suddenly proclaimed to my wife "yuck, the person in front of us is smoking a cigarette!"
She looked at me like I was crazy and asked how I could tell. Told her I could smell it and then about 20 sec later, a big puff of smoke came out the window followed by the flicking of the cigarette out the window.
She has never been a smoker and could not smell it but I could. I think that even though our brain finds it a disgusting smell, there is that little piece of brain that still finds it attractive and it is always searching for that next cig.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like pawn started smoking at 13, and smoked till I was 26. Camels for the first half, Winstons for the second half. Backwoods too, loved those things. I will never smoke again, but I do occasionally miss it, after a good meal, or on a rainy day the smell of a sweet backwood cigar smoldering was a pleasure.

An old friend of mine, that I haven't seen in 4 or so years, just came to my office to visit. He's always been a heavy smoker. I can't get the stench out of my nose. My lord, did he stink! I wish I kept cologne in my desk. I may need to go wash my nose out with soap! I can't believe I used to walk around smelling like that.

An old friend of mine, that I haven't seen in 4 or so years, just came to my office to visit. He's always been a heavy smoker. I can't get the stench out of my nose. My lord, did he stink! I wish I kept cologne in my desk. I may need to go wash my nose out with soap! I can't believe I used to walk around smelling like that.

The smoke smell masked your natural smell.

Took 5 years for me to stop craving it when I drink. Thankfully now the smell of it almost makes me sick

Are there other ex-smokers like me who don't care if others smoke in their presence? When commuting I don't even care if co-workers smoke in my car.

I don't mind someone smoking around me, as long as they don't have me trapped in a confined space (like a car). In fact, I kind of enjoy an occasional whiff of smoke off the end of their cigarette.

I quite smoking in 1997, at the age of 48. My wife still smokes, but she does it outside; she eventually stopped smoking in the house or her car sometime after I quit. It's a ritual with her now: every couple of hours she stops whatever she's doing, and takes a smoke break on the back patio. If I'm home I usually grab a cup of coffee, a bottle of water or a beer, and go join her.

She was my go-to excuse for years: "well, I'd like to quit smoking, but you know how that goes. It's hard to do, when you're living with someone else who smokes...." I finally manned up and decided to stop hiding behind that one.

True. I looked myself in the eye and said (mother****er, you will do this). That sounds dramatic, but that's about how it was.

True this^^^^^
The person in the mirror is the one that you have to defeat. Each and every time that you have a craving, you have to tell the SOB in the mirror "NO!!!"

Sorry to hear, pawn. Small comfort, but those who get smoking relating cancers who are not smoking or have not been smoking are more likely to beat it and need invasive/aggressive procedures less often.

True this^^^^^
The person in the mirror is the one that you have to defeat. Each and every time that you have a craving, you have to tell the SOB in the mirror "NO!!!"

I looked in the mirror to do the same, then I saw a zit and popped it and continued smoking.

My problem is that when I quit, I tend to lose my temper easily, lose focus and I get tension headaches

Took 5 years for me to stop craving it when I drink. Thankfully now the smell of it almost makes me sick

It's amazing how nasty cigarette smells are and I don't understand how I continue to keep smoking.

My problem is that when I quit, I tend to lose my temper easily, lose focus and I get tension headaches

Yeah, the headaches sucked big time.
If you ask my wife, she'll tell you that the headaches were karma because my loss of patience caused me to be very irritable... So while she felt compassion, she also experienced schadenfreude.

I've been smoking for 20 years. Still battling to quit. I've stopped and started about 3 times this year already. How can you guys drink beer and quit smoking?

After a few months that super strong craving you get when your drinking goes away. Just have a beer or 2 it's when you get really buzzed those first few months that you give in.

Back