Second Season Growing Help, Add dirt or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaserlm

Reaction score
Last year I plated two rhizomes in separate pots and let each grow two bines. This will be the second growth and they are starting to break ground. My question here is this: should I add more dirt to the pots? They pots were both filled almost to the top last year but now it has compacted down to nearly only half full. Should I add more dirt? Should I just throw dirt on the top of what is already in the pots? Should I did up the plants then add more dirt and bury the rhizomes back? Would love to know what would be the best plan for these guys. Thanks for any help.

2014_03_07_16_44_10.jpg

Last year I plated two rhizomes in separate pots and let each grow two bines. This will be the second growth and they are starting to break ground. My question here is this: should I add more dirt to the pots? They pots were both filled almost to the top last year but now it has compacted down to nearly only half full. Should I add more dirt? Should I just throw dirt on the top of what is already in the pots? Should I did up the plants then add more dirt and bury the rhizomes back? Would love to know what would be the best plan for these guys. Thanks for any help.

2014_03_07_16_44_10.jpg

If you have larger pots, you might think about transplanting and refreshing the soil mixture. If not, then yes, if you can. Try (delicately) removing the plant, loosen or remove the dirt on the roots (don't worry if it's not perfect, just do what you can). If you do damage the roots, don't worry, that will stimulate new root growth, though the plant may suffer (albeit small) some shock, it is fairly resilient.

Whether you transplant or just freshen the soil, try to get the crown as close to the top as possible, that will allow room for roots to grow, and make it easier for the plant to dry off as its crown will be closer to the wind. If the plant is deep in the pot, that can lead to standing water, rot, etc. You don't want that.

Best!

Transplant to bigger pot, baby. Gotta give the rhizomes room to spread.

If not an option, may consider trimming the rhizomes.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks! In retrospect I really should have just got the bigger pots when I bought these but I wanted plastic and these were the biggest non clay that Home Depot had at the time. Im going to head over there this weekend and grab some more dirt and see if they have any of the big plastic pots now. Thanks for the advice.

Is there some reason you can't plant them? They really will never do much if you keep them in pots. Here's a picture of MOST of a 5 year old Cascade crown in a full sized lawn chair:

Yeah I live in an apartment building but I have a very large porch, so a pot on the porch is the best I can do for now.

If you have larger pots, you might think about transplanting and refreshing the soil mixture. If not, then yes, if you can. Try (delicately) removing the plant, loosen or remove the dirt on the roots (don't worry if it's not perfect, just do what you can). If you do damage the roots, don't worry, that will stimulate new root growth, though the plant may suffer (albeit small) some shock, it is fairly resilient.

Whether you transplant or just freshen the soil, try to get the crown as close to the top as possible, that will allow room for roots to grow, and make it easier for the plant to dry off as its crown will be closer to the wind. If the plant is deep in the pot, that can lead to standing water, rot, etc. You don't want that.

Best!

Dead on!

So I couldn't find any larger pots. Home Depot only had 12" round and smaller and didn't seem able to tell me when they would have larger so I just got more dirt and used the pots I had.
13281561753_91097bdf76_o.jpg

Here is what it looked like with most of the dirt knocked off
13281412085_0d39b9853f_o.jpg

The second pot had a wild flower growing in it
13281764714_5551caba7e_o.jpg

I planted two rhizomes in the pot
13281762474_6e86555f23_o.jpg

I tossed the smaller one and re-planted that larger one
13281555153_69914ddb61_o.jpg

And here is what I was left with
13281405295_04b19f84af_o.jpg

I hope they work out all right.

So I couldn't find any larger pots. Home Depot only had 12" round and smaller and didn't seem able to tell me when they would have larger so I just got more dirt and used the pots I had.
2014_03_19_16_56_40.jpg

Here is what it looked like with most of the dirt knocked off
2014_03_19_16_56_51.jpg

The second pot had a wild flower growing in it
2014_03_19_17_03_30.jpg

I planted two rhizomes in the pot
2014_03_19_17_11_32.jpg

I tossed the smaller one and re-planted that larger one
2014_03_19_17_14_15.jpg

And here is what I was left with
2014_03_19_17_38_58.jpg

I hope they work out all right.

Pic fail!

Why did you toss the small one? If you don't want to move it to a separate pot give it to a friend. I expand my hop garden every year by trimming pieces of root and replanting them. I've also given lots of cuttings away to friends and neighbors.

Back