Stainless dry hopper retrieval in corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mageac

Reaction score
I just bought this excellent product from Chad and I want to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to retrieve it after a few weeks of dry hopping in my corny keg. I don't think it floats and it looks difficult to "fish out" with a coat hanger or something. I also read someone uses magnets to attach a filament to the lid but that sounds iffy to me. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

A sanitized coat hanger hook seems like a good way to me. Grab a flashlight and shine it down into the beer so you have a reference to hook the hopper?

Well the verbiage makes it sound like the OP hasn't already sunk one of these.

So, to make removal easier in advance, tie some dental floss to the loop on the cap and tie the other end to a handle, then just lower it into the beer, put the lid on the keg and lock it down over the floss...

Cheers!

no, havent sunk it yet but i will be using it next weekend and want to be prepared. seems the dental floss idea may let some co2 leak out. did this actually work for you without any leaks? thanks.

was actually thinking about drilling a hole in the small lid extension where the valve is housed. may be overkill if the dental floss thing works out.

if not floss may end up just fishing it out as suggested. but i would be scared that i would fumble around with my exposed beer too much while trying to retrieve.

Or, like me, leave the dryhops in the keg for the life of the keg. I've never once retrieved any hops out of a keg, and I've dryhopped probably 50-60+ kegs.

Once they are cold, it seems like the dryhopping stalls so I've never had grassy flavors.

Or, like me, leave the dryhops in the keg for the life of the keg. I've never once retrieved any hops out of a keg, and I've dryhopped probably 50-60+ kegs.

Yooper, do you use bags and if so do you just let them float? I tie them off mainly because I worry about them sinking and getting the dip tube clogged. Maybe it's not really an issue?

Yooper, do you use bags and if so do you just let them float? I tie them off mainly because I worry about them sinking and getting the dip tube clogged. Maybe it's not really an issue?

Yeah, I do. I use tightly woven bags, the "fine" ones from the homebrew stores. Sometimes I use those large tea ball strainers for leaf hops but I sometimes have a mix of pellets and leaf hops, so the tightly woven mesh bags work well for me. I just drop them in the keg, then rack the beer into that. They float at first, as I have to stab them in through the lid when I close the keg but they must sink once they are saturated. I don't know for sure, as I never looked until the keg was empty, though!

Back