Higher final gravity from mash temp, yeast, or fermentables(crystals, cara's, ect.)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpertskir

Reaction score
What's the flavor difference in the end product of an ale that finishes at a higher gravity for each of these reasons?

I think there are too many variables to make an "x=y" comparison. Are you talking about a 2 degree difference in mash temp or a 10 degree differemce? Different yeasts will each have some variability based on their expected attenutation. So will the amount and type and amount of grain. Not to mention that they all relate to each other. If your beer finishes at a higher gravity than expected is that a two point difference or a ten point difference?

Mash Temp: 140-152F produces a dryer, thinner beer due to a beta-amylase preferred temperature range converting starches into fermentable sugars and 153-160F produces a sweeter, thicker beer due to being in an alpha-amylase preferred temperature range that converts them into less/un- fermentable, "body" producing sugars. In addition, I would say "Mash Time" is as equally important in determining flavor profiles and final gravities in a brew.

Yeast: There are too many variables to go into in this post, but I would say the main ones are the attenuation range of a particular strain determining sweetness or dryness and the ideal fermentation temperature range, or perhaps even from a strain's inherent nature, determining which flavors are produced like esters and phenols as well as how much of the fermentable sugars are utilized.

Fermentables: I think this is more a matter of how efficient a particular mashing method, equipment and mash times were in breaking down the starches into fermentable, alcohol producing sugars versus unfermentable, body producing compounds determining the final gravity and thus how the flavor is perceived in the final product. Also, how much of the grain bill falls into the "well-modified" category and how much of it requires additional help such as protein rests, acid rests, decoction, pH stabilization and additional enzymes added to the mash.

This is what I would guess as far as my current (admittedly limited) knowledge is concerned, but it's certainly open to debate .

Yeah, you're going to have to be more specific in your question. That's like asking "how does an airplane work?"

Here is an example of what I am thinking, lets just leave yeast out.

For the sake of conversation lets say that you have a very boring and average recipe

OG 1.050, FG 1.010

If you are trying to bump up your FG to say 1.014ish. You can do this by increasing the unfermentable sugars with ingredients or mash temp. Is there much of a difference between the two? Are you introducing the same unfermentable sugars in each case?

Here is an example of what I am thinking, lets just leave yeast out.

For the sake of conversation lets say that you have a very boring and average recipe

OG 1.050, FG 1.010

If you are trying to bump up your FG to say 1.014ish. You can do this by increasing the unfermentable sugars with ingredients or mash temp. Is there much of a difference between the two? Are you introducing the same unfermentable sugars in each case?

If you wanted to increase your FG using ingredients I would only use CarPils or CaraFoam since they don't add any flavor/color. If you use a higher portion of other Crystal malts you risk adding color and/or changing the taste of the beer.

If you have a boring and average recipe, final gravity isn't your issue. If you find a way to make it finish a couple points higher, you're just going to get a slightly sweeter boring beer.

If you have a boring and average recipe, final gravity isn't your issue. If you find a way to make it finish a couple points higher, you're just going to get a slightly sweeter boring beer.

This isnt about a boring recipe...That was just an example to explain my question.

So what you are saying is FG is FG, no matter how you get to that number?

You could do it "naturally" by increasing your mash-in temps up into the 154-156 range which would make a less fermentable wort and avoid using any highly fermentable adjuncts or sugars like turbinado or honey. Using a less attenuative yeast (around 70% or so; I think White Labs refers to it as "Low") will help with a higher final gravity. You can also use unfermentable additives like maltodextrin or lactose which will artificially create the impression of a higher final gravity.

I don't think I understand what you're asking. There are so many factors that go in to FG, which it seems you're aware of. Are you asking how each variable affects the flavor?

Nitpicking... Humph...

To answer your question yes higher mash temp ups the FG. Best real life answer would be to mash at the extremes and find out. Try the same recipe at 149 f and then at 159. Your FG will be higher and your taste can then decide what the difference is! I have done this on multiple beers.

Steve da sleeve

Back