Fridgenstein Side-By-Side Kegerator / Fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kind words. Your build looks great as well! It definitely took a lot of work researching and figuring out if this would all work. I'm glad it has paid off to help others. My next upgrade I'd to add a shelving on the freezer side so that I candor 4 kegs... Barely. The downside is I can't produce and drink beer that fast!

mistercameron, just an idea for you. I used light gauge angle iron attached with self taping screws to make a shelf with easy access and maximum air flow. The bottom is staggered to accommodate the hump. It is simple and easy to attach. Cheers

IMG_5124 (533x800).jpg

IMG_5125 (533x800).jpg

IMG_5134 (800x533).jpg

IMG_5135 (533x800).jpg

Wow, I haven't looked through this thread in a long time. I really like what I see. Eventually I plan on building out the freezer side shelving to fit 4 kegs, but as it is I've had trouble keeping a pipeline going with my schedule.

One thing that I have run into is that my fans are making some strange noises from time to time. It's like the bearings are giving out... Pretty loud screeching buzz. Usually a little smack will get them to quiet down. I wonder if the fridge is too cold or damp. I may try cheaper PC fans next time on a sacrificed phone charger.

I did this last night, and I plan on finishing as soon as get the rest of my equipment. Cheers

2013-11-28 00.06.14.jpg

2013-11-28 08.25.35.jpg

2013-11-28 08.24.57.jpg

Any ideas on how to keep the temp. up in the freezer without adding the temp controller yet?

Jupapabear said:
Any ideas on how to keep the temp. up in the freezer without adding the temp controller yet?

I've read a few threads about adjusting the internal thermostat to allow chest freezers to operate at fridge temps.

I'm hoping this will work with my side by side kegerator/fermentation locker build...

One idea you could look into

I found the coarse temperature screw. Now it's just trail and error to find my sweet spot.

Gave up on that, just finished installing the STC-1000 with out a wiring diagram. Trail and error, and some luck got me here. It's programmed similar to OP. Thanks for posting your experiences, and for the replies. Now the SWMBO will be happy to see me out of the garage. Cheers

Two questions:

What type of tool/ instrument should I use to cut into the center wall to place the fans?

What method are you using to hang/ mount the dual body regulator?

I am just looking to have two kegs on the serving side. I think that I now have all of the parts I need, the schematic, and I have completed all the initial tear out and prep work complete. Time to cut out the holes for the fans, wire it up, and make it look nice. Any suggestions would be great. These threads have been such a big help!!

hawkinst7 said:
Two questions: What type of tool/ instrument should I use to cut into the center wall to place the fans? What method are you using to hang/ mount the dual body regulator? I am just looking to have two kegs on the serving side. I think that I now have all of the parts I need, the schematic, and I have completed all the initial tear out and prep work complete. Time to cut out the holes for the fans, wire it up, and make it look nice. Any suggestions would be great. These threads have been such a big help!!
I have two STC controls that I am going to use with two PC fans and a small heater. I think I am going to put toggle switches on each device. That's the plan anyways...

image-2976539656.jpg

image-472524381.jpg

image-2771857701.jpg

Two questions:

What type of tool/ instrument should I use to cut into the center wall to place the fans?

What method are you using to hang/ mount the dual body regulator?

I am just looking to have two kegs on the serving side. I think that I now have all of the parts I need, the schematic, and I have completed all the initial tear out and prep work complete. Time to cut out the holes for the fans, wire it up, and make it look nice. Any suggestions would be great. These threads have been such a big help!!

I used a Dremel with a metal cutoff disc. I put the fan up to the panel where I wanted it and traced the outline, then cut on the lines. After the cutout was removed I cut out the insulation with a utility knife. If you cut this accurately your fan will fit tightly in the hole. I then fitted and placed the fan in the hole, and using a drill, I ran a small drill bit through the mounting holes on the fan to mark the other side of the panel. This side I cut out a smaller hole. Just enough to give an opening for the fan. This way I could fit the fan in the cutout, and run the mounting bolts from the smaller cutout side. Oh yeah, its easier to start this from the fridge side as there is more room to work.

Another thing, I use two fans, both installed with the same procedure, one high, one low, only they each blow in opposite directions, creating an effective circulation, and evening the temps on both sides. I use the entire fridge as a kegerator so I want it all the same temperature. One fan is wired to the main STC1000 with the temp probe on the fridge side and comes on with the compressor. The other fan is wired to a separate STC1000 with the probe on the freezer side and is attached to the heat relay. This way if the freezer side drops below the desired temp this fan will come on independent of the compressor and even up the temps.

I also use 110v fans that can be wired directly.
The STC 1000 can be installed in the door using the same Dremel cutoff wheel and procedure starting by marking the outside, cutting out the hole, removing insulation, and marking the inside hole with w drill bit from the outside. Cut as little as possible to create a tight fit, and a neat appearance.

First pic is of the installed fan.
The second is of the installed STC 1000.

IMG_5123.jpg

IMG_5116 (800x533).jpg

Thanks for the help! I ended up taking off the door, created a stencil, and used a jig saw to cut the holes for the STC's and the fans. The STC's and fans are in place. I removed the shelving on the doors and used a sheet of roofing valley metal to dress it up. I still need to wire it and clean it up but I'm making some progress.

image-1586645810.jpg

image-4240172691.jpg

One issue or concern that I have is where to place or how to install the CO2 regulator. I have the one below in the picture and my initial thoughts are to place it in a "compartment" with the CO2 tank in the freezer side under where the kegs are going to be. Thoughts?

image-3856648784.jpg

I put mine outside the fridge, and ran the gas line through the same hole the water line ran through for the ice maker. It saves room for more kegs in our small freezer compartment.

Ok, I'll see what I can do. I would like to keep it contained inside but it may not work out. I want to be able to read and access the regulator so having it inside may make that difficult. Deciding that and finishing the tap door are the next steps. thanks

I reused the rubber stopper my water line was held in my. I just had to make a small cut on the inside and force it to fit my gas line. Snug as a bug in a rug.

I reused the rubber stopper my water line was held in my. I just had to make a small cut on the inside and force it to fit my gas line. Snug as a bug in a rug.

Huh. I'll have to look for that. I saved a bunch of parts for "just in case" but I don't recall that one.

Thanks. It holds up pretty well with the 100 tough bulb during the past freezes.

Jupapabear

I also just created a side-by-side fermentation/serving set up using 2 STC-1000s. Freezer side is holding steady at 5C but I'v having trouble getting the fermentation side to hold at 19C. The temp keeps creeping down a couple of degrees. I'm using a dual fan set up with one at the top blowing towards the freezer and one at the bottom blowing into the fridge and both are covered with louvered dryer vents. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm located in San Diego so it doesn't have anything to do with the outside air temp. I'm trying to avoid needing to add a heater if I can help it.

Fridge.jpg

Fridge2.jpg

Surely you will need a heat source. I just blew the last bulb I will buy as my heat source. Ceramic heaters are cheap on amazon and at big box stores.

Jupapabear

I also just created a side-by-side fermentation/serving set up using 2 STC-1000s. Freezer side is holding steady at 5C but I'v having trouble getting the fermentation side to hold at 19C. The temp keeps creeping down a couple of degrees. I'm using a dual fan set up with one at the top blowing towards the freezer and one at the bottom blowing into the fridge and both are covered with louvered dryer vents. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm located in San Diego so it doesn't have anything to do with the outside air temp. I'm trying to avoid needing to add a heater if I can help it.

Mine had another vent down low in the back that opened up to the evaporator in the freezer side. I found that a lot of air was being pulled in there since it opens directly into the evaporator space behind the metal panel in the freezer.

It looks like you may have something similar, level with your low fan and towards the back. I pulled the cover off, plugged it with insulation, and replaced the cover. Haven't needed a heater, and I can maintain 72°F on the ferm side and 35°F on the freezer side.

Mine had another vent down low in the back that opened up to the evaporator in the freezer side. I found that a lot of air was being pulled in there since it opens directly into the evaporator space behind the metal panel in the freezer.

It looks like you may have something similar, level with your low fan and towards the back. I pulled the cover off, plugged it with insulation, and replaced the cover. Haven't needed a heater, and I can maintain 72°F on the ferm side and 35°F on the freezer side.

Hmmm - that is interesting to know. Perhaps that is the problem with mine. I am noticing a loss of temp over a short amount of time... time to get into the back of mine to check that out. Thank you for posting!

I finally added some shelves. E's Haus Pale Ale is on top, I'll be adding in a bucket of RIS in a few hours.

1397062746950.jpg

I finally added some shelves. E's Haus Pale Ale is on top, I'll be adding in a bucket of RIS in a few hours.

The shelving looks sturdy enough. Can you get a bucket fermenter on the bottom shelf? It looks like a tight fit.

My 7.8gallon bucket would never fit down there. But I have 5 X 6 gallon buckets to use up before using that would ever be necessary.

How is the vent controlled? As I understand it the compressor turns on and cools the freezer and the fridge just siphons off air from the freezer to get cold.
If that's correct, how can you ensure that the fridge stays cool, while the freezer gets cold but neither gets as cold as they are actually designed?
Does it make more sense to hook up the freezer to the compressor so the freezer temp triggers the compressor, then only have the fridge temp controller operate the blower? Or is that how it operates already?
Thanks!

Yes it does. Now I just need to finish my keg carbing chest so I will no longer have dead taps while carbing

Don't know who may see this, but for you guys that want your Co2 outside the fridge but want a clean look, try this:

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Thick_Wall_CO2_Gas_Bulkhead_p/gas-bulkhead-thick-wall.htm

Ball lock on the outside, barb on the inside. Clean pass through the wall of the fridge (or any kegerator) Planning to grab one of these when I convert my side by side this winter.

gas-bulkhead-thick-wall-2.jpg

That's pretty neat. I don't know if I would do the ball lock on one side, but it would be a clean way to get multiple lines in at different pressures. Barb-barb would be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back