WLP500 Trappist Ale yeast in a Belgian blonde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am making a tripel in a few weeks. I thought I'd make a small batch of something else first, to have a starter made without making a big starter and tossing the spent wort.

I don't know if WLP500 would be good in a lighter beer- maybe a Belgian blonde (but a lighter OG than BJCP guidelines state). I've never used this strain before, so I'd really like some suggestions on good lower OG uses for it. Thanks!

For my tastes it would be fermented in the low 60's with a Pale Ale as I try to beat the fruitiness out of it.

For my tastes it would be fermented in the low 60's with a Pale Ale as I try to beat the fruitiness out of it.

I was actually planning on fermenting even the triple in the low to mid 60s as I wanted a moderate amount of fruitiness.

A pale ale in the low 60s with that yeast makes me think, though!

I wonder if an APA with that yeast would be better with hops like willamette, or blend better with the citrusy C-hops.

I made up an imperial blonde a few months back and repitched with a wl500/wl550 blend from a tripel... Turned out really nice even though I fermented in the 70s. Came in around 1.010 or a little better if I remember correctly.

Back