lager pitching rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Begin2Brew

Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning to brew an oktoberfest next week, that gives me 11 days to grow my yeastie clan. The OG is 1.054 and mr malty says to pitch a little over 400 million cells.

My plan is to take a single smack pack (100 million) pitch it into a 2 liter starter, which should end up around 200 million cells. Then pitch the slurry into a 1 gallon started which should give me close to 400 million cells.

What do you all think?

Alright, Dr. Evil.

Last edited by a moderator:
you will need ether 2 packs in a 4L starter or 1 pack in a 9L starter according to Chris White new book Yeast page 143 hope that helps

Those steps should get you plenty of yeast. If you're decanting off the first 2L of spent starter wort, be sure that you cold crash it and get everybody on the bottom of the flask. If you arent careful you can dump the less-flocculant, more-atteunative cells that are still in solution near the end of the first starters fermentation. A good 2-3 days in the fridge after 3 or so days on the stirplate should do fine.

11 days away though, you may not have time to crash and decant your larger starter effectively, you'll be cutting it close I think.

Latest posts

Back