Saying Goodbye to my Dog (Sorry- it's a downer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap'n Jewbeard

Reaction score
My folks back home just put my dog, Shayna, to sleep, after a good and long life (she was 15 + years old). Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier, which are frankly the most adorable dogs on the planet.

She was always happy, always loving, and for an only child (me), she was really like my little sister.

She was a good dog, a good friend, and a good girl - I'll miss her, and I guess I'll see her next time around.

Thanks for listening, guys.

I'm sorry to hear that. I lost a dog in a similar situation back in 2003. Maybe you can name a batch after her?

I'm really sorry to hear that, friend. My folks had to put down a kitten that I grew up with a few years ago - she was old enough to drink (nearly 22). We'd had her since I was in the second grade. It's not easy, they're just a part of your life, they're always there.

She sounds like she was a good dog - that'll never go away.

Kind words (and good advice) all-

I will definitely make a beer in her honor, and (eventually) there will be a new puppy. I'm not really at a point where I can own my own - renting, living with roomies, etc. But eventually.

I'll have to get a different breed now, though - I don't see having a same-looking new dog running around, y'know?

P funky said:
I'll have to get a different breed now, though - I don't see having a same-looking new dog running around, y'know?

Nah, every dog has it's own personality and it's own look. You could line up my dog with 100 of the same breed an I could pick him out in a heartbeat. I'm sure you could do the same.

:mug: Here's to Shayna

Friends of mine had to put down their 9 yo Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier, Elsie, 2 weeks ago.
She had a degenerative muscular disease that eventually would have left her paralyzed and unable to breath.

I found this awhile ago in Slate and I thought it was a good read. I kept it handy because I am not looking forward to the day that we have to make this decision for our dog.

http://www.slate.com/id/2090327/

My friends found it helped affirm their decision.

Two poinient quotes:

There's no Idiot's Guide for this question, no handbook. The many points of view are strongly held. One vet I know says a dog should be euthanized "when it can no longer live the life of a dog—and only the owner knows when that really is."

To love dogs is to know death and to accept that there's never a time we are more morally obliged to speak for them than when they face the end of their lives.

15 is a good old age for that breed. I know that that is little help.
I am sorry for your loss.

Thanks man- it's a worthwhile read, and I appreciate the perspective (and the feeling that, while it sucks, it needed to be done). Besides, she got 15 years - that's a lot of years of dog-life.

I'm sorry to hear bad news. I've had quite a few dogs come and go in my life. There was one in particular when I was a kid. He was just a mutt; but he followed me everywhere I went in the neighborhood. One day a friend and I were playing close to the river bank and my friend fell into the water. My dog actually ran all the way to my friend's house and barked up a storm until my friend's dad followed him back down to the river. I definitely know what it is to love a pet; so I feel your pain.

It is amazing how close we get to our pets. I think my wife would rather get rid of me than her dog. As for my mutt versus the wife...my lip are sealed.

Sorry to hear of your loss....yup, it hurts when you lose a pet, they are part of the family.

As all, sorry for the loss. I've been seeing the signs with my 12 year old shepard - she's having trouble with stairs and has been in more-and-more obvious back pain for a year now. We are doing our best to make her able to live normally, and there is really nothing to do to prepare for the end. It's hard to see them go, but the time spent with a good dog is irreplacable and priceless. Let the good memories linger.....:tank:

Sorry to hear about your loss. This poem/story is always a good read, especially right now for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It’s called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors.

Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge, there is a land of meadows, hills, and valleys with lush green grass. When beloved dogs die, they go to this place to wait.

There is always food, fresh water and warm spring weather. The old and frail are young again, those who are maimed are made whole. They play together all day long, with only one thing missing ... they are not with the special person ... the one who loved them so much here on Earth.

So each day they run and play until the day comes, when one suddenly stops playing and looks up ... it's nose twitches, the ears are up, the eyes are staring, and this one excitedly runs from the group. You have been seen!

When you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting and beloved friend. Then together you cross the Rainbow Bridge, never again to be separated.

Sorry for your loss! It's really tough losing a close pet.

Go to AHB and get an Old Dog Brown kit. It's good, in a dark fuzzy way.

I put two down within six months of each other back in 2004, a doxie and a goldie mix. I'd had both of them for over 11 years. Lasted through three GF! Now I have two retired greyhounds. "If you love dogs, you'll never run out of love."

Sorry man, that sucks. We had to put our dog Buster down this morning...really sad stuff but at least they lived out thier lives instead of being cut short by a disease or hit by a car.

Cheers to lost loved ones!

My uncle had to put his dog down. It was a Great Dane and his arms were getting sore and he could not hold it up any longer. :D

...dogs are mans best friend. You will get another one soon me thinx.

Man guys, I'm really sorry to hear it. It's weird without them around, but it gets less as days go by. All the best. :eek:

Ize

My sympathies as well... I've had to do it before and I know it's not an easy thing.
The only child thing rings true too. My son is an 'only' (SWMBO's told me my second child will be with my second wife ;) and one of our two dogs has been with him since he was 10. He's just started college and I know someday he'll probably have to hear me telling him the same thing.

Memories are great things though - they lose the hard edges and get softer and better as time passes.

When you purchase a pet, you're purchasing a future tragedy. The sadness of losing a loved one reminds us that we're alive and that we're capable of great range.

Don't think of the loss, think of the amount of joy and happiness that was brought into your life.

Back