Newyears Wine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I'm getting ready to whip up some apple wine for newyears my question is about how much apple and sugar would i need to achieve 10gals at 15%ABV

any info would help thanks

15% ABV apple wine? For THIS New Years? Won't happen. At least, if it's done fermenting, it won't be drinkable. That's only about what? 3.5 weeks?

But, for next year, my recipe (in my drop down under my avatar) makes a 12% ABV wine. If you want 15%, you can use champagne yeast and bring the OG to 1.100 and make sure you use plenty of yeast nutrient and/or enegizer.

+1 what Yooper said.

I made apple wine last year, and it has only been in the bottle just over 3 months. I'm going to hang on to a bunch of mine for my wedding this coming June.

I am going to start my Christmas wine this weekend. I should be done a week ahead of time so I can start giving it out for presents.

I made this year's Christmas/New years apfelwein during the week between X-mas and new year, LAST Year.

Noone I know could stand that stuff less than six months old, but love it when it is a year.

4 week old 15+ abv wine??? *shudder*

I assume it can be done, right? Sounds like a neat thing to do, you know a small batch made in January or February every year then aged until the New Year.

*****How did I do that??? It was supposed to be a NEW thread!! Fair enough, it was this thread that gave me the idea so I will let it ride as such, sorry for changing the topic. :-(

I assume it can be done, right? Sounds like a neat thing to do, you know a small batch made in January or February every year then aged until the New Year.

I carb my apfewein high and call it apple champagne and give folks bottles for new years. If I have any ready. I don't make it every year.

4 week old 15+ abv wine??? *shudder*
How about my 2 week 20%? I have been doing it all year. You know the old saying, garbage in, garbage out, or was that age the garbage out.

If you keep is clean in the beginning then there is no need to age out the off flavors. ;)

Newyears Wine!
If you have access to or can buy a brew belt and the yeast I use, I will give you my phone # for you to call me for the recipe and directions, if you really want to make some for then.

I started a thread about apple champagne ready for NEXT New Years here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/apple-champagne-209086/

From what I've read 12% apple wine needs a few (4-6) months to be good I'm thinking 15% would need more. Reevy can I get your apple champagne recipe? Is it Apfelwein strength or regular wine strength? how many volumes do you carb your apple champagne to?

Sorry for the de-rail but I got excited when I read advice from Yopper and Reevy in the same thread.

Back to the "Can he have 15% wine ready in a month" question?
I say it will be done fermenting but quite rough drinking...

If you want just carbonate the apfelwein you already have. Treat it like a beer -- ferment it until it's dry, calculate bottling sugar, add... watch out for yeast in the bottom. Or, if you have a keg set up, just put it under gas, voila!

I started a thread about apple champagne ready for NEXT New Years here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/apple-champagne-209086/

From what I've read 12% apple wine needs a few (4-6) months to be good I'm thinking 15% would need more. Reevy can I get your apple champagne recipe? Is it Apfelwein strength or regular wine strength? how many volumes do you carb your apple champagne to?

Sorry for the de-rail but I got excited when I read advice from Yopper and Reevy in the same thread.

Back to the "Can he have 15% wine ready in a month" question?
I say it will be done fermenting but quite rough drinking...

If you want just carbonate the apfelwein you already have. Treat it like a beer -- ferment it until it's dry, calculate bottling sugar, add... watch out for yeast in the bottom. Or, if you have a keg set up, just put it under gas, voila!

That is exactly what I did with mine. It's the same old apfelwein recipe, just carbed high.

Back