NOOB - Keezer Build Question - Supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crags9

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Well after only a few short weeks of being addicted to my "hobby" of homebrewing (as I like to tell my wife) I have decided to go the kegging route. I currently have a 6' chest freezer that I got from a family member and just today scored a 16 cu ft chest freezer off craigslist for $50!! So my plan is to now use the smaller chest freezer for fermentation and the larger one as my keezer. I have 5 corney kegs, a dual guage regulator and a 5# CO2 tank. My first batch of Nut Brown Ale is bottled (and delicious, I might add) and my 2nd batch of Oktoberfest is in the secondary.

From lurking on the site I have realized that KegConnection.com seems to be the place for all of your kegging needs. Please take a look at my "parts list" below and let me know if there may be something you think I need to add, take away, or get somewhere else. I plan on building a collar and having (4) taps.

KegConnection.com Items
Qty SKU Description Price Total
(1) AD104 Air Distributer - 4 Way, With Check Valves!
(Check valves with 5/16" nipples) $58.95 $58.95
(4) SK104SS * Shanks - All Sizes - Choose Your Size!
(4 1/8 Stainless) $19.89 $79.56
(1) SK600 15/16 Hole Saw with Drill Bit $11.95 $11.95
(4) SK200S Shank, Beer Line Connection Kit
(upgraded to Stainless Steel Tailpiece) $4.95 $19.80
(1) FR200 Freezer to Kegerator Instant Conversion Thermostat,
Digital $89.95 $89.95
(25') HO101 Beer Hose, Clear, 3/16" ID X 7/16, Sold by the foot. $0.49
$12.25
(25') HO104 Gas Hose, Red, 5/16 ID, 9/16 OD, Per Foot $0.59 $14.75
(1) HO302 Hose Cutter, Basic $5.95 $5.95
(4) DC503 Dis-connect set (2) Ball Lock 5/16 gas, 1/4 liquid barbed $13.89 $55.56
(4) FA200, + FA903 *525SS, Perlick Foward Seal, Stainless Steel Beer
Faucet
(With Handle (FA903)) $32.39 $129.56

Please let me know what you guys think! Thanks in advance for the help!

Looks good but I have a few minor suggestions. First, get more than 25ft of beverage line. I would double that. Better to have extra and not need it. 25 should be enough for the gas line as long as the CO2 tank is near the keggerator.

As far as the 15/16 hole saw, nothing wrong with it, but save yourself a few bucks and just use a cheap spade bit like this for example.

The hose cutter is also unnecesary but it probably does make life easier. The hose can be cut with a razor blade without issue but the cutter is probably easier.

Other than that it looks like you have everything covered. Maybe someone else has some more input that I missed.

Your list looks good. (Welcome to the club!)
+1 on more beer line, and don't forget the clamps.
I suggest stepless beerline clamps (use a pair of end cutters to close them)

Great advice so far by other posters. When I looked at KC, my big issues was the worm clamps and wye fittings on the manifold. They might tell you that a QD won't leak gas, but I would rather trust my CO2 with a ball valve. The check valves protect your reg and that's good.

Also, not a big fan of barbs, but this is a preference thing. I like the threaded flare fittings. If getting flares, be sure to get nylon washers!

I assume that the kit also comes with beer nuts and shank washers?

PS-You don't need a tubing cutter, but the faucet wrench is a helpful doohickey. Also throw in a tube of keg lube.

Thanks for the input!

One more question... Do most people just have the one CO2 tank to use in the keezer and then disconnect it to use when cleaning/sanitizing and carbonating a new batch? Or do you have more than one CO2 tank (i.e. one that just stays with the keezer and another to carbonate and/or clean & sanitize?)

Again, thanks for all of the help!

I have only one tank so I keep it in the freezer unless I need it for kegging. I will probably pick up another tank for this purpose in the future.

For me, it was much cheaper to piece things out at different stores where I found the lowest prices than to get them all at one place (shipping included).

FYI, perlicks at farmhousebrewing.com are like 24 bucks each, so you could save like 30 bucks right there. I also think that kegcowboy.com has 4 way manifold for like ~$33?

Chicompany has a thermostat (analog, and I don't have any experience with it) for $40.

Unless your keezer is huge, you probably do not need that much gas line. You could probably go with 16 ft easy.

Basically if you're willing to shop around you can save a significant amount. This does come at the cost of convenience, though.

Back