Another Pump Question - How about Iwaki?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJWP

Reaction score
I'm looking at some Iwaki pumps and wonder if anybody has any input.

They are the 30-MD-RXT and 40RT models.

Anyone actually using any of these are have any thoughts? I hear that these are actually decent options?

I can speak to their reliability as I have used them for years with my coral tanks. However, I am not certain about what temperature range they can handle and did not see any specs from a cursory look on their website. If you do choose to go with Iwaki, note that there are possibly two versions of motors (US and Japanese). The US made motor is quite a bit more economical. I have a 40-RLXT (US made) which has been in continuous service for about seven years now. If you find temp specs, please post them or a link; I'd like to know what you find.

From what I can gather the MD model I'm looking at is the Japanese motor and the American motor versions are designated WMD. Is your pump WMD?

(see: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi...&utm_campaign=pricegrabber&utm_content=IK1135)

When you say "more economical", what exactly do you mean?

I can;t find where I read it (EDIT: I'll keep looking and will post back if I find it), but yesterday I saw a specification sheet somewhere that had the Iwaki's listed with a max temp rating of 176F, so I suppose heat won't be a problem. I can avoid moving boiling wort altogether if need be. And since I can get a used one for $40 I think the price is right.

This is my first pump - as an Iwaki owner, is there anything to know or look out for? Do the plastic/nylon threads require special care to hook up to?

Thanks,
jjwp

If you can get any Iwaki for $40, you win. :)

Yes, my pump is a WMD (US made motor) and the MD versions are Japanese motors. There's probably a +\- $50 cost difference between the two depending upon model.

Here's the US version of the same pump (30 RXLT) you listed from Marine Depot:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/Iwaki-Pump--WMD-30-RLXT_p_1042.html

EDIT: Interesting...when I click this link it takes me to their home page, but if I paste into the browser it takes me to the pump.

I've only used Schedule 40 PVC fittings with my Iwaki, so I can't speak to limitations of the nylon threads on the pump. If you use QD fittings, it should be a moot point. Since you are purchasing used, just be sure everything looks good. If you are in doubt, remember that March pumps are $125 and have been proven to work well...that's why I am using a March and not Iwaki or Little Giant.

Hope this helps!

FWIW, I have an Iwaki MD30RZ. I used it on my brew system for years, but only pumped boiling wort with it for the past year. Previously I was pumping water or wort at 180°F or less. I noticed some some hairline cracks on the back of the impeller, so I bought a new pump (Chugger).

My pump had "barb" connections not threaded connections. A friend gave me the pump; it had been used as a coolant circulating pump I think. It ran smooth and quiet. The magnet on the impeller is huge compared to the impeller/magnet of the Chugger.

Overall, I was very happy with it. I think that by running boiling wort through it when it's not rated for that probably caused the cracks. It still works, but I am concerned about the wort being exposed to the bare magnet.

I bought an Iwaki 15 pump 100Volt(Japan) for $20. It gets pretty warm on 110Volts, and it is volumetrically just fine. The Iwaki site says to 180 degrees F. I also just bought 2 - 110Volt Iwaki 20's for $30. They are bigger volume and head also 180 degrees. I will use my new March 815 for the BKettle and Iwakis for 2 other pumps and have a spare. Careful to do good cleaning and beware some were used in photo processing and very dark (likely silver oxide?). Mine all were very clean looking, sterilized and tested for taste. All seems good.
FYI, Jim

Back