Infection in Bucket - Throw Away Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieBrewer

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I forgot about a bucket of cider I had from about eight months ago. The airlock had dried up and the cider was 100% infected. Nasty stuff.

Anyways, I want to use the bucket again, but I'm afraid my next batch will get infected. I scrubbed it down with B Brite, soaked it in a bleach solution over night, and now I've StarSan'ed it.

Would you re-use it or toss it and get a new one?

I wouldn't toss it but I'd mark it with a big X probably use it around the house.

Keep some tools in it. You can pick up buckets for free many places or at worst case a few bucks at a bakery or doughnut shop which is a lot easier and cheaper than tossing an infected batch.

Thanks everybody. Just picked up a new True Brew bucket. It's got minor scrateches in it, so I turned around and took it back but they all had scratches in them. Do I need to be worried or is it only a concern if the scratches are deep?

Thanks everybody. Just picked up a new True Brew bucket. It's got minor scrateches in it, so I turned around and took it back but they all had scratches in them. Do I need to be worried or is it only a concern if the scratches are deep?

As a rule of thumb, scratches=bad. I have a Ale Pail that I use all the time as a priming bucket. Many SMALL scratches, but it always gets a long sit in the sanatizor prior to any use. As a matter of fact it is my Sanitizing bucket, prior to priming.

Use a better bottle or glass carboy for your fermentation and use the buckets for cleaning, sanitizing and maybe priming like i do.

No, do not fear the tiny scratches. Fear the big scratches! ;)

If you're really worried about it, buy some fine (300+ grit) wet sandpaper and lightly sand the walls (no power tools).

Seriously, there is no need to throw out a good bucket, infection or otherwise. It's called proper cleaning and sanitation technique. Unfortunately, most people fear the infection bogeyman 'round here... :eek:

Back