Bittering Hop Fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephelton

Reaction score
I brewed a blonde ale a while back and thought I did everything very effectively. That is, until I looked in my fridge to find the bittering hops that I didn't use! The 5 gallon recipe called for 0.3 oz cascade which ended up being boiled for 105 minutes. These I added, but the 1 oz Liberty I completely forgot to add.

As you can imagine, the beer is overwhelmingly malty. It's just not enjoyable. Does anyone have any bright ideas?

1) Dry hopping probably will not help. Does dry hopping result in any alpha acids being absorbed?

2) What if I took a gallon or so of water and boiled the Liberty hops in them for an hour or two, and then mixed this with the batch? Has anyone tried anything similar, or have any input?

3) I could make another batch and double the bittering hops, and mix the two. Any ideas on how to mix them, keeping in mind that oxygen is best avoided?

Thanks for any input. I haven't tossed a batch yet, and I really don't want to. This is my 21st batch, and other than the hops I did everything very well.

Boil up a hop tea and pour that in. Dont do a gallon, that will severly dilute your brew.

That was my thought (refering to The Pol's post), but in less water, I'll have less hop utilization, right? I have extra Liberty hops, so I have 3 variables I can tweak:

1) volume
2) time
3) hop quantity

1 is best kept low, 2 is up in the air, 3 is between 0 and 3 oz of 4% AA. My original recipe called for 1 oz at 3% for 60 minutes.

Thanks!

Boil the Liberty in a quart of water for 60 minutes. The French Press method is better for adding flavor/aroma than bittering.

There's no need to leave the pot open when boiling only hops, there's no DMS that you need to drive off. You can keep a lid on it while boiling.

Yes, a quart of water disappears after a long boil. I boiled 1 qt with 1 oz hops for 90 minutes. I had to add about another qt and a half, and ended up with about 1/4 a qt. I used the french press as a strainer, which was very effective. The press was just right for an oz of hops -- any less and it wouldn't have reached the bottom and wouldn't have done its job as a press.

I've now added it to my beer and it definitely makes a difference, but it's still very malty, and there's a overwhelming sweet taste on the palette that I want to balance out.

Should I expect this to need some conditioning before I get the full effect? Unless the bittering flavor is going to really come out after some conditioning, I think I might double what I did -- and use water more appropriately.

Thoughts?

Back