Fruit in the secondary and no activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops-a-Lot

Reaction score
I just racked a wheat brew over into the secondary on top of a can of apricot puree (Oregon Fruit Products, 3lbs @ 12 Brix) and it has been about 12 hours with very little evidence of additional fermentation activity. There is also no visible airlock activity. I held it in primary for 6 days prior with the hopes that there would still be enough yeast in suspension to get the job done. Is this something that I should be concerned about? There is a layer of thick material on the top of the beer and some spots where it looks like another kraeusen was about to form but not much else. Should I attempt to stir it or add more yeast? Seems like the risk of entering the fermenter at this point might not be worth it. I have read other threads about fruit beers and some have experienced a significant increase in activity after adding fruit to the secondary, but at 12 Brix it doesn't seem like I really added the much additional sugar (about 0.5 lbs). I am hoping that my worrying is nothing more than my lack of experience in brewing this recipe. My plan is to wait it out for 10 days and bottle. Advice?

Frankly, I don't WANT secondary fermentation with fruit. I have found that leads to a "wine" flavor (fermented fruit = wine).

From now on, I plan to keep the beer with fruit heavily chilled in the secondary to prevent as much secondary fermentation as possible.

I've just finished raspberry wheat (2 days on fruit) and blueberry wheat (5 days on fruit), there was no airlock activity at all.
Now they are botteled, and they seem so be OK, maybe slightly overcarbed...

Typically you're not looking for additional fermentation - you're just looking for the fruit to impart flavors & aromas to the beer. Fruit is fairly difficult to predict regarding fermentation & estimating FG, so i LOVE when it doesn't ferment further - I know my processes are working as they should.

Thanks to all who have replied so far. One good thing about the forum is that I can always expect a quick reply. It helps when you love what you are talking about! Any way, based on what I have read, it seems like a good thing that there isn't any more fermentation going on in my secondary. I have high hopes for this batch so my fingers are still crossed. I just need to RDWHAHB! I am going to try to bottle after about 5-7 days so that should be plenty of time to get enough of the fruit flavor/aroma into the beer. One more quick question to add on to the thread, will the fruit typically add alot of residual sweetness to the beer as well as aroma and flavor? This is not something that I really want, so I am just curious. Thanks again for the help.

It depends on the fruit, as does the time you should leave the beer on the fruit. How much it ferments after you add the fruit will also affect how muc sweetness is left.

Regarding time, "stronger" fruits like raspberries do not need much time as, say straw & blueberries to impart their flavors/aromas.

I don't have any experience with apricot, canned or fresh, so i can't comment on either the time nor the sweetness.

also even with an infusion of sugar, beer yeast is tapering off after 6 days on an average gravity brew. a hydro reading is more reliable than airlock activity in secondary.

airlocks bubble or don't bubble for a variety of reasons, and while not fool proof a hydrometer is a better gauge of activity.

Back