Mildew weed off-flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katja

Reaction score
I recently brewed and extract wheat beer that has turned out to have an awful off-flavor. I haven't been able to even pin point exactly WHAT it tastes like until last night when a friend sampled it and told me it tastes like damp, mildewy WEED. (???) Yuck!

I used the recipe for Lovebite Weizenbier from the Papazian book, bought the supplise from Northern Brewer and followed the instructions. Primary took 2 weeks until it was finished bubbling, then I racked to secondary for another 2 weeks. Bottled, carbed with boiled sugar. Have been sampling the beer over the 4 weeks since its been bottled. Most of the bottles have tasted terrible, but there have been a few in which the taste/scent was minimal.

There were no signs of infection during fermentation and my bottles don't appear to be infected either. I'm very particular about sanitization.

The only part of the process that I know I screwed up was that at bottling time, I racked to my bottling bucket and initially forgot the priming sugar. I boiled & added and stirred gently - maybe this aerated the beer too much?

Is anyone familiar with this particular off-flavor?

could be rancid hops.

could be oxidation. Is it possible that the taste is like soggy cardboard. This can be confused with mildew.

Can hops pellets go rancid? I ordered all the ingredients from Northern Brewer and brewed a couple days later. Hops were stored in my fridge.

There was also a VERY strong alcohol scent during the end of fermentation that seemed pretty off base.

I can't say I know what mildewed weed smells like or tastes like. I've had a hard time describing the taste/smell, however that's what my friend said it smelled like.

Back