Burnt Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titleist3672

Reaction score
On my last brewday (Saturday) I either must have not stirred the extract well enough or a nasty boil-over left a burn mark on the inside of my aluminum boil kettle. After scrubbing and soaking and scrubbing again, I have made no progress in removing the mark.

Is it okay to keep using this pot for brewing? Is there a solution I can get to removing the burn mark?

Thanks in advance!

The pot is OK and it's not uncommon to have this issue. I have it on the bottom of a stainless steel pot. It won't affect anything in the future and it will not come off (or not in any way I'm familiar with)...

I don't know about aluminum - my brew pot is stainless steel, but when I finish brewing, there is a residue or discoloration at the bottom that won't wash off with normal scrubbing. I have found that simply putting a little white vinegar (enough to just cover the bottom of the pot) and rubbing that around for a minute or two completely removes it and leaves the pot looking like new. Be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove all the vinegar if you use this method. Note that I have no idea whether or not this is a good thing to use on aluminum.

Sounds like you scorched your extract somewhat.

A good trick so this doesn't happen again:

Instead of adding your extract when it starts boiling (like most directions say), add the extract before it starts boiling. This should render you from having those stains on the bottom of your kettle.

Another trick: I remove my kettle from the burner/element when I add the extract. I don't put the kettle back on until I've mixed everything in well. Once the kettle is back on the element, I keep stirring the wort until the boil begins.

Back