Project 10der and Mild: 10 Milds in 10 days in Month 10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Based on the thread-jack here:
Drink More Mild! - Home Brew Forums
Trying to get 10 people brewing milds that take 10 days grain-to-glass in the month of October (Month 10) and then swap-em.

Lets talk about it.
Post your brewdate and ship within five days of finishing.
Obviously this favors force carbing but I suppose someone can give me an argument that they shipped a bottle conditioned mild that was primed on day 10.

Want to be in?
PM me the following:
Name:
Handle:
Ship to Address:
Phone:
Email:
Approximate Brew Date: (subject to change, so don't fret):

Bottling Options
1) BMBF Method of Bottle Filling
2) Don't forget about using the carbonator cap and 2 liter bottles!

More ideas please.

EDIT (as of 8/27):
Once I understand he interest level, I'll decide if this is an open swap between all members or if there will be 2 swaps or if we just do supporting.

HBT SWAP POLICIES APPLY: Read
Brew Calendar: 10der and Mild

The x value is the amount of people you want to swap with. Defaulted to 1. Post or PM to up your x modifer.

Particpants so far:
Brew Calendar: 10der and Mild
1) olllllo X3 (unless/until we get an even amount)
2) Chriso X2
3) GreenwoodRover X2
4) flyangler18 X2
5) YooperBrew X1
6) Chad X2
7) Flynn aka BierMuncher X2 or 3 if needed.
8) DeathBrewer X2
9) Professor Frink X2
10) niquejim X2
11) Zymurgrafi X1

Hmmm. I love mild. In.

I think 10-day mild is quickly going to become my stock football beer. I can brew early-morning before the game, keg it the next week before the game, and it'll be MORE than ready to drink by the following game.

I need to make a habit of brewing 5g and kegging 5g every Saturday morning before the mayhem sets in.

OMG I am like an addict waiting for my fix. My fix of FOOOOTBALLLL!

Each ships to 2 others?

A mild is low ABV, so it can ferment out in 7 - 10 days. 3 hours of force carbing and bottle. I believe that we are opening a 5 day shippping window, but I bet some of these potentially can be out the door in 10 days or less.

A mild is low ABV, so it can ferment out in 7 - 10 days. 3 hours of force carbing and bottle. I believe that we are opening a 5 day shippping window, but I bet some of these potentially can be out the door in 10 days or less.

3 hours of force carbing? :confused:

Yea. You're in with the big boys here. Want to know all our secrets?

I may be in with the big boys, but im sure you can't force carb in 3 hours. Unless it involves shaking your keg for 3 straight hours. Sounds tedious.

I never realized the Carbonater Cap was a ball-lock. I don't know why it wouldn't be. But I guess I assumed it was some weird proprietary thing.

I may have to invest in one. Hmm.

Otherwise, my plan was primary for 8 days, into the keg, into the fridge, and onto 30-40 psi for 24-48 hours, no shaking.

"10der and Mild".....

roflmao.gif

Brilliant!

I'm really starting to get into the English sytle brews and am recently all grain. If you'd have me I'd be up for it.
I've never participated in a swap before and I've never had any other Homebrewers try any of my beer (nor have I tried anyone else's homebrew). I would like to have some good feedback.
Would it break the rules to brew it the last weekend of September?

ALL:
Lets make this a go.

PM me the following:
Name
Handle
Ship to Address
Phone
Email
Approximate Brew Date (subject to change, so don't fret)

If we all decided to brew on Sunday Oct 5th, could we set up a point-to-point-x5 video conference?

Does Mogulus do multi-direction streaming?

This sounds fun! :D

Well - this all sounds interesting but I'm a bottle carbonater and have never made a MILD (I've never actually TASTED a MILD).

I've just started looking into them and have a few recipes I'm mulling over.

I did not know it was such a quick beer.!!

ooh, that sounds like a challange! :D

i think i can have a beer brewed and naturally carbonated in the keg in 6 days by krauesening. i'll just have to brew 2 milds...

that would allow 4 days for shipping. i'll ship 3 day air so it arrives in time to leave in the fridge a night :D

EDIT: maybe i'll try this out next week, otherwise i'll use force carb

DOUBLE NINJA EDIT: I'll be on vacation oct. 5-12, so i'll probably brew on the 4th.

Stickied...

What the heck...I can always use ten gallons of a good mild through the winter:

11.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 75.9 %
2.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 19.0 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.2 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.50%] (45 min) Hops 14.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 2.5 IBU

Little lower IBU (17), but I like my milds malty.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Kitchen Staff Mild II
Brewer: Chad Ward
Style: Mild
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 15.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 49.20 %
3 lbs Mild Malt (4.0 SRM) Grain 36.90 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.15 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6.15 %
2.1 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.60 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.60 %] (60 min) Hops 17.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 8.13 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 10.16 qt of water at 171.9 F 154.0F
I'm debating a flavor addition of Fuggles/Willamette at 20min. or just keeping it clean and simple. I'm also eager to give the new Ashburne Mild Malt a try. This seems like a great chance to experiment.

Chad

olllllo enlightened me about the existence of this thread because I was posting about my Mild in another Mild thread. Anyway I'm not a kegger... yet, got 2 kegs and a fridge, working on the rest. I do however have a batch of Jamil's Mild bottle conditioning right now. If you can't find another force carber or want the variety of having a bottle conditioned bier, Jamil's recipe, etc. You can count me in.

FWIW it taste very good at bottling, should turn into a fine quaffer!
As stated the Recipe is Jamil's well almost I added carapils and late addition hops, here it is:
5# Marris Otter (Any British Pale Malt will do)
.75# Crystal 60
.5# Crystal 120
.375# Chocolate Malt
.5# CaraPils
Hops:
.75 oz. Kent Goldings - 60 Mins.
.5 oz. Fuggles - 20 Mins.
.5 oz. Fuggles - 0 Mins.
Your IBU target is 17-20. Also if you want to keep it in style eleminate both late boil additions.
Yeast:
Safale S-04 (pitched on approx 1 qt of yeast cake from Irish Red Ale)

Mash @ 158 degrees
Brewhouse Eff. 71%
O.G. 1.036
target F.G. 1.011

You can check the label out at my blog (linked below).

Let me know if you want a wild hair bottle conditioner in the swap!

Schlante,
Phillip

Philllip.

We'd love to have you but BM is correct. I think I have a solution though. We have Grinder 1200000000 who has no idea what a mild tastes like. Why don't you send one to him and see what he can send you in exchange.

If that happens to work out, one of us might be inclinede to trade with you, once our primary swap obligation is met. Stay tuned.

I see that DeathBrewer is perhaps attempting to bottle condition within the timeframe, perhaps he can post more info on that. That might also be an option.

no, i was thinking keg conditioning, then transfer to bottle. basically using my keg as a bright tank.

...but i think think a 10 day bottle condition can be done. some filtering might be required, tho.

filtering might be required with the kegged version as well.

i'll be making a variation of my little red hen ale this weekend and i'll try some experiments.

Grinder 1200000000

HEY!!! There is a story behind that!!!

I've been Grinder forever but once it was taken along with Grinder1 Grinder2 and Grinder3 - I got pissed and figured NO ONE had Grinder12000.

I'd love to try . . . ANYTHING!! But I have nothing in return unless you need a Wisconsin Microbrew.

here would be my plan for a naturally carbonated 10 day mild:

Day 1: Brew 5 gallons, use a big starter or two packs of dry yeast (s-04 is going to be my next trial with the little red hen ale)
Day 2-3: Transfer to keg at high krauesen (you could also transfer at day 4 and add more wort for krausening)
Day 4-5: Let it finish fermenting with an adjustable release valve.
Day 6: Filter and transfer to new keg. Add pressure if needed. Transfer to bottles and cap
Day 7: Ship

now, granted, i've never done this before. i but i have all the equipment i need, including a plate filter and an adjustable pressure release valve for the keg.

hmm, i may have a problem with the timing as i am going on vacation October 5-12, so maybe i won't use this method for the swap, but i'm definitely going to try it out :cross:

HEY!!! There is a story behind that!!!

I've been Grinder forever but once it was taken along with Grinder1 Grinder2 and Grinder3 - I got pissed and figured NO ONE had Grinder12000.

I'd love to try . . . ANYTHING!! But I have nothing in return unless you need a Wisconsin Microbrew.

Phillip... take him up on this and get a fine New Glarus beer.

Any of the Unplugged, Smoke on the Porter or, of course, Raspberry Tart or Belgian Red...

Any of these:
New Glarus Brewing Company

Back