Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished bottling this today. Got just shy of 1.5 gallons out of my batch, seems I lost quite a bit from transferring to secondary and transferring to bottling bucket. (was a 2 gallon batch)

Mine looks just a shade off from swampy pond water... so light in colour I hope it actually has some alcohol in it and that it actually tastes like something. I should have taken a picture for ya'll cuz it actually is concerning to me! lol.

18 hours after pitching.

1402009798960.jpg

I got a stuck sparge while batch sparging this. Haha. I would use the rice hulls next time. Though I know now how the biab would be affected. It may be a safe bet to use hulls in all biab for better drainage.

I mill my grains to .032 - .034, and run my grains through twice, so I use a 1/2 lb of rice hulls in all batches. I have a 3/8 valve on my mash tun and after vorlof I can run with my valve wide open. I have a 70 quart Colman cooler so I place a piece of 2X4 under the back of the cooler to give it a little angel. After most of the wort has drain I place the 2X4 on its side to give the back of the cooler more of an angle to drain all available wort into the kettle. When I dump my cooler out the grains kind of look like a semi smooth layer of concrete.

Since closing the gap on my mill I am getting upper 80's to low 90's on mash efficiency. The factory setting was at .039. The factory setting and running the grains through only one time, my efficiency was in the low to mid 60's.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I mill my grains to .032 - .034, and run my grains through twice, so I use a 1/2 lb of rice hulls in all batches. I have a 3/8 valve on my mash tun and after vorlof I can run with my valve wide open. I have a 70 quart Colman cooler so I place a piece of 2X4 under the back of the cooler to give it a little angel. After most of the wort has drain I place the 2X4 on its side to give the back of the cooler more of an angle to drain all available wort into the kettle. When I dump my cooler out the grains kind of look like a semi smooth layer of concrete.

Since closing the gap on my mill I am getting upper 80's to low 90's on mash efficiency. The factory setting was at .039. The factory setting and running the grains through only one time, my efficiency was in the low to mid 60's.

Thats and excellent process, and I have nearly the same if not exactly the same setup, but I need to add the 2x4. The key here, is using rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge. Half a bag costs $1, and prevents huge headaches and speeds up the process. I can't find a good reason why I shudnt do it!!

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

In response to the last couple messages,
I have a MaltMill, one of the original roller mills for homebrewers. I have it motorized to about 300 and something rpm. Honestly I don't really know the gap or real RPM, but did all my homework in getting the right sheaves to spin at recommended speed. I think the gap is 39 thousandths. I don't condition and I only mill once. For a typical single infusion mash I get about 79-81% efficiency. For step mashes, a little higher. I only use rice hulls if I'm using wheat malt and then I have LHBS mill the wheat malt at .025. It works for me. I hit about 90% once when I decoction mashed.

Anyways, finally brewed this beer. Gave SWMBO a taste from the hydro flask and she really liked it. I got an enthusiastic WOW. As in, she'd drink it.

Thanks for the great recipe.

Here is a pic. no cold crash, fermented 9 days at either 66 or 68. I think 68. Then racked to secondary for last 7 days.

TD

IMG_1398.jpg

Trying this brew on blue berries. 6#.

Before:View attachment 205373

After:View attachment 205374

Should be great for the 4th!!!!!

6# of fresh or frozen? Dumped them in or racked on top? Should be interesting. I did a blueberry wheat last summer with extract, and it was good, but I think I went a little heavy on the flavoring. I wanted to use canned blueberries, but... I was afraid it wouldn't have enough flavor.

Frozen Walmart brand.

Racked on top.

I brewed 10 gal and bottled 5 as is last night. Put other 5 on top in the freshly cleaned carboy.

I have flaked rice, I assume that will work the same as minute rice, and in the same proportions?

Also, how do you think some C60 would do in this brew?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bottling night after a week on 6# of blueberries..

Tasting started a bit tart/bitter on the backend and the cascade on the front. As sipped more I think the tart is from the berries. Not a lot of sweetness. Btw I doubled the hop schedule on this batch.

Pic is using a clear Newcastle bottle.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403235105.816170.jpg

My latest version of this is:
5 lbs 2row
1 lb corn
1 lb rice
1/2 lb carapils.
I made it at my LHBS on an open brew day. Should be on tap soon. I'll let u know

I brewed this up pretty much to the original recipe last Sunday for Father's Day. Nailed the 1.040 OG. Took my first gravity reading today and it's spot on 1.010! Sample was nice tasting.

I have ~2 gallons fermenting in a 3 gallon corny and ~8 in a 10 gallon corny.

I figure a pound and a half of frozen blueberries in the smaller keg would be about right.

Do I have to rack them off into a second keg for "secondary" or can I just put them in? I'll likely warm up, pasteurize and blend them up. It'll be my first time adding fruit. I sort of want to avoid the hassle of cleaning another keg.

Probably let them sit another week in the fridge at 68°F before racking to a serving keg.

Based in the succulent strawberry blind recipe. Put them frozen into the secondary and rack on top. I left mine for a week to finish the ferment then bottled. No need to blend or pasteurize.

Based in the succulent strawberry blind recipe. Put them frozen into the secondary and rack on top. I left mine for a week to finish the ferment then bottled. No need to blend or pasteurize.

I did a chocolate cherry imperial stout where I racked the beer on top of the cherries in secondary. I put the frozen cherries in the carboy with 2 crushed campden tablets on top and let it rest for 24 hours. Then jus racked the beer on top. Worked real well.

Just brewed up a batch yesterday. I didn't feel lik egoing to the store, so I used what I had on hand.

5 lbs Marris Otter
2 lbs quick grits
2 lbs generic minute rice
1.5 oz Cascade @60
US-05

Hope it turns out well....it's a bit over hopped, but the wort tasted yummy after the 90 min boil.

Just brewed this up on Saturday (I'm a newb still, this was batch 4) and my only question is this - Fermenter is sitting next to a "lawnmower beer" recipe (2-row and saaz only) and it looks...grey. I forgot my irish moss, so I expected a bit of cloudyness, but this is something different. The lawnmower beer is gold and light, this is straight up grey and murky.

Is this okay? It's my first time using corn or rice (minute rice in this case) so I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Scot

Just brewed this up on Saturday (I'm a newb still, this was batch 4) and my only question is this - Fermenter is sitting next to a "lawnmower beer" recipe (2-row and saaz only) and it looks...grey. I forgot my irish moss, so I expected a bit of cloudyness, but this is something different. The lawnmower beer is gold and light, this is straight up grey and murky.

Is this okay? It's my first time using corn or rice (minute rice in this case) so I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Scot

If the beer has not cleared enough on its won by the time you want to bottle then I would recommend cold crashing the beer for 1-2 days to see if this helps with clarity. I cold crash the beer you place the fermentor inside a refrigerator for 24-48 hours prior to bottling.

this is straight up grey and murky.

Scot

Can you get a pic of your beer? I brewed this up yesterday. Cloudy, murky I can understand but I think it should have a yellow or golden color.

msh

The one on the right. It's settled out quite a bit, but still doesn't have any of the gold colour that the bee on the left (just 2-row and Saaz, been there for 3 weeks) has.

Edit to add: It used to be completely the same colour as that grey trub you see at the bottom.

IMG_20140709_175741.jpg

Your good just rack to a secondary, use a finning agent, or cold crash like msa8967 said. Or do all three. I think once you get it cold it will clear up pretty quick.

Msh

The one on the right. It's settled out quite a bit, but still doesn't have any of the gold colour that the bee on the left (just 2-row and Saaz, been there for 3 weeks) has.

Edit to add: It used to be completely the same colour as that grey trub you see at the bottom.

May wanna throw a towel over those carboys with them being next to a window, your beer will be lightstruck before you even get it in the bottle. Just a suggestion.

A question about fermentation...

We just brewed a 5 gal version last night and pitched US05. It is sitting in the primary at 68F and already yeast is kicking.

Here is my question... I have to go out of town for 10 days after about 9 days in primary, should I leave for the extra 10 days in primary or rack to secondary after 9 and then let sit in secondary for those 10 days and then keg when I get back? Any benefit either way?

We have done most of our all grains with 1 week primary and 2 weeks secondary and have had great results, but those were other recipes and other yeast.

Thanks for the input!

A question about fermentation...

We just brewed a 5 gal version last night and pitched US05. It is sitting in the primary at 68F and already yeast is kicking.

Here is my question... I have to go out of town for 10 days after about 9 days in primary, should I leave for the extra 10 days in primary or rack to secondary after 9 and then let sit in secondary for those 10 days and then keg when I get back? Any benefit either way?

We have done most of our all grains with 1 week primary and 2 weeks secondary and have had great results, but those were other recipes and other yeast.

Thanks for the input!

Just leave it in the primary. If you can, turn down the temp and cold crash for a couple days before transferring to keg. I almost never secondary anymore. I've made this recipe and it is crystal clear. You can even use a little gelatin in the keg once it's cold.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405615890.796621.jpg

This is a CCC I made with primary only and a few days of gelatin cleaning....

Biermuncher you rock man! I just kegged 5 gallons of Centennial Blonde about a week ago, and just finished my carbing (36hr 30psi and a day of 11psi) of the Cream of the Crop. Both are excellent man! Thanks and Cheers!

brokendownyota, I brewed this last week and while the yeast was active in the fermenter it was a yucky murky color just like you describe. The yeast have settled out now and it's got a nice gold color now. I know the color is going to turn out great because my hydrometer sample on brew day had a brilliant yellow color. I am going to try out gelatin for the first time with this batch, I hope it comes out as good as everyone else!

Just finished brewing a batch exactly to recipe except for BRY-97 yeast. Perking away nicely after day 3 and I am looking forward to tasting it in a few weeks.

Quick question: Has anyone tried this recipe using White Labs cream ale yeast?

Just finished brewing a batch exactly to recipe except for BRY-97 yeast. Perking away nicely after day 3 and I am looking forward to tasting it in a few weeks.

Quick question: Has anyone tried this recipe using White Labs cream ale yeast?

I haven't but will very soon. Can't wait to try it because it's one of my favorite recipes of late. My favorite list is expanding rapidly... Cream of three crops, California common, English brown, etc. I must keep brewing!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back