Laptop DC charger help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Toshiba Satellite A205-S7468 laptop and want to see if I can use my Targus APA01US DC charger. I bought this to use with my old Dell laptop. So far I have been unable to find any compatibility info online.

You guys might not be able to help but I figured what is the harm in asking.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Does the supply have current and voltage ratings on it? The voltage has to be exact, but the current on the replacement can be higher, just not lower.

Targus Charger:
Main Output 15V-24V
PPS Output same
Total output 90W
the amps have a symbol next to them that I am not familiar with (line with dots under it) it then reads 5.5A

Toshiba:
19V (Hard to read a bunch of Japanese)3.95A

The Targus charger is designed for many different laptops. "Universal"

The line with the dots means DC current. What concerns me is the voltage range indicated on the charger. Typically the voltage is a fixed unit and has a range only if you can select one or another. The current is an indication of how much amperage the supply can provide and your laptop simply draws what it needs. If the voltage is off all sorts of nasty things can happen because it can cause your laptop to draw more or less than it needs.

I don't know if you're able to do this, but do you have a voltmeter you can use to test the output of the supply? I wouldn't plug it in unless I were sure it's the 19volts your laptop requires.

So I go out to my car with charger and my meter. Plugged the charger in and realized why I quit using it. The freaking thing is broken, sorry Fingers!

D'oh! I have issues with the chargers on SWMBO's and my laptops. I've repaired them but it's time to buy new ones. eBay is a good source.

Honestly the charger I have at home works fine. We are taking a trip next weekend and wanted to run it in the car... it may be an inverter is a better way to go.

Back