Brett B

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GySgtLynn

Reaction score
I pitched some Brett on a Sasion a week ago.. I don't see any kind of pellicle formation yet. Is this normal? I have the heat around 85 degrees and racked the beer to a secondary at 1.001 before pitching the brett b..

You may not see a pellicle at all. You don't always get one. One week would be very quick.

At 1.001 you have not left the Brett much food. I don't really know how it works, but I believe it also works on the esters the sacc has created. Whether it needs other sugars to help that process or not, I don't know.

Yup, looks like your Brett pitch will just go to sleep with nothing for supper.
Try racking it off the original yeast, adding some new wort and then pitching some Brett.

unlike sacc, brett does not need sugars (the bugs are so hardcore they can live off cellulose from wood). brett will eat all sorts of by-products from the sacc, complex sugars that the sacc couldn't touch, etc. a 1.001 beer still has sugars in it, because a completely fermented beer - with no sugars at all - is below 1.000 (something like 0.990 i believe).

if you want to give the brett something to eat - not needed - add an ounce or two of boiled malto-dextrine.

Back