We're number one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People who binge drink have significantly higher rates of alcoholism, drunk driving, sexual assault (either victim or perpetrator, depending on gender), and poor academic and job performance compared to people who do not binge drink. This is especially true among 18-24 year olds, even those not in college.

I just graduated from Ohio University and I can tell you about some binge drinking. There were several people that I knew that could easily drink a case of natty in a night.

4-5 pints every night = the good life

4-5 one-liter growlers every night = binge drinking

There's a difference. With average ABV brews, after 4-5 pints, I'm happily buzzed. How is that binging?

Wrey said:
I just graduated from Ohio University and I can tell you about some binge drinking. There were several people that I knew that could easily drink a case of natty in a night.

shoot thats nothing

I can drink a case of natty before lunch time, then take a little nap and drink another before dinner

96 calories per 12oz can, its not that hard to do

Evan! said:
...With average ABV brews, after 4-5 pints, I'm happily buzzed....
Yep.
And the effects are essentialy gone by next morning. If I drank the equivalent in hard liquor, or even BMC, I'd have a raging headache the next morning.

I thought that the general definition of "binge drinking" was "drinking to get drunk" -- if that's the case, then the vast majority of beer drinking done by people on the forums doesn't count. Hell, one of the items on the You're no longer a n00b when... list is "You stop caring what ABV your beer is, because you know you can put away at least a 6er of 8abv beers before you 'feel' anything, and just care about the taste." Now, I know this isn't some master list of things you must aspire to, but still: it seems that homebrewers are much more interested in taste, flavor, etc than getting wasted and as such can never be accused of binge drinking. Perhaps drinking too much, but that's another beast entirely :)

Try not to get too hung up on the term "binge drinking." Its used merely to denote a level of alcohol use somewhere between a little and a lot, and does not take into account the context in which the drinking occured, or anything like that.

Alcohol use researchers are usually interested in three levels of drinking:

Current Use - At least one drink in the past 30 days,
Binge Use - Five or more drinks on the same occasion (i.e., at the same time or within a couple of hours of each other) on at least 1 day in the past 30 days,
Heavy Use - Five or more drinks on the same occasion on each of 5 or more days in the past 30 days.

Slightly more than half of all Americans 12 years and older are current users, about 23 percent are binge users, and about 7 percent are heavy users.

Alcohol use is a good thing, as we all know. Alcohol abuse is a bad thing and has many negative personal and social consequences. Binge Use and Heavy Use can be (though are not necessarily) indicators of alcohol abuse, regardless of the context in which drinking occurs. This is why researchers are interested in the rates of binge drinking (and heavy drinking) in the U.S.

So if I go out on Sat. every week and once on a Fri. during a month I'm a heavy drinker? Please at my wieght I need three before I start feeling buzzed. This study is so scewed to anti-liqour side that it isn't funny.

Back