cranberry with craisins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnync

Reaction score
I thought about a wine with 100% cranbeery juice and craisins or a blend of juices.
has anyone tried this?
Thanks

With craisins you'll need to see if they are bathed in preservatives. If there are preservatives then it might not ferment or it will ferment extremely slow.

thanks
i looked at some today in the store
oceanspray was the one that said only crenaberries and sugar as ingredients

I think your 100% cranberry juice wine will be way too tart, there's a LOT of acid(s) in cranberries & when all the sugar is fermented out it'll be super-tart; I found that out with prune juice. You might want to add some water to that juice before starting your primary fermentation.

There MIGHT be an upside to this though. I recently discovered a cherry/apple/black currant wine I made that was super-tart from the black currants had mellowed with age, that tartness had aged out. Now I haven't yet tasted my prune juice experiment, but I now have some hope that it too will eventually be drinkable, maybe even really tasty. The drawback to this is that it takes a long time for that super-tartness to mellow with age. I suppose you could always backsweeten & stabilize if you wanted to speed things up. Regards, GF.

I think you might want to do it like a skeeter pee. Then maybe back sweeten to 1.014. That away is sweet but not to sweet.

Latest posts

Back