Mashed low,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygent73

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

Im brewing a pumpkin ale for thanksgiving. I used some new software to calculate my mash temp. long story short i ended up doughing in in the mid 140's:drunk:, and it took me about 15 mins to get me up to 152 where i want to be. I have always hit my temps in the past; what can i expect in terms of effects (if any) on the SG from the 15 mins of being under temp?

Hey fellas,

Im brewing a pumpkin ale for thanksgiving. I used some new software to calculate my mash temp. long story short i ended up doughing in in the mid 140's:drunk:, and it took me about 15 mins to get me up to 152 where i want to be. I have always hit my temps in the past; what can i expect in terms of effects (if any) on the SG from the 15 mins of being under temp?

Not much- conversion will still happen in the mid 140s (favoring beta amylase), but it happens very slowly so not too much conversion happens in 15 minutes in the 140s. I think you won't notice a difference, but it's possible that FG might be .002 or so lower than planned.

I've recently started mashing in @ 95-100F for PH check and adjustment. Agree 100% with Yooper, you won't notice anything. The only obvious change I see is that I get more break material from my boil.

Back