Chicago & Philly Brewpubs???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
I have to do some traveling for work in a few weeks and will be spending a week in Chicago and a week in Philadephia.

Anyone have any recommendations for good brewpubs in either city?

Dunno about Philly, but I'm in Chicago and live minutes away from Revolution Brewing.

http://revbrew.com/

They do brewery tours, too! I'd check ahead of time if you want to get in there. Sweet-looking bar. They sell on tap and in growlers only, I think, no smaller bottles. Good stuff. Great food, too.

If you like heavy metal and or ridiculously good huge ass burgers, you HAVE to go to Kuma's Corner. Not a brewpub but they have a nice list.

http://www.kumascorner.com/

I've heard good things about this place but never been: Hopleaf

http://hopleaf.com/

Have fun in my hometown!

If you want a "brewpub", Goose Island can't be beat... it's about as Chicago as Vienna Beef hot dogs and the Cubs. :) For "beer bars", though, I'd recommend Map Room, Hopleaf, Clark Street Ale House, or The Publican.

If you'll have time to head out to the suburbs, there are a lot of them outside the city as well... Barley House in Algonquin is a great beer bar (great food too) with a massive selection, Chef Paul's Bavarian Lodge in Lisle is a fantastic German restaurant with a very eclectic and fresh selection of drafts...

Enjoy the city!

In Philly, check out Nodding Head on Sansom St. between 15th & 16th Sts, upstairs. That's downtown. If in the suburbs, there are a number of Iron Hill Restaurants & Breweries - their seasonals and specials are usually pretty good and vary by location.

Cheers,
Glenn

+1 to Nodding Head, one of my favorite brew pubs around. Great beer and great food, they always have something interesting on tap. With Iron Hill, as mentioned, they have a few locations, often my debate is which one has more of the beers I'm interested in trying! Dock Street Brewery is another good one, and Triumph has a Philly location as well. Near Triumph there is also a really nice Belgian-themed bar with excellent food and a wide selection of beers (I feel like close to 300 bottles) called Eulogy, and a sister location just 2 or so blocks down called Beneluxx with almost 40 taps and a similar bottle list. While they don't have any of their own brews, they are very nice places I frequent and worth checking out if you have the time. Yards Brewery is also worth checking out, while less of a brewpub, they serve some sandwiches and have excellent beer. Just a few of my favorites to consider, cheers!

I have to do some traveling for work in a few weeks and will be spending a week in Chicago and a week in Philadephia.

Anyone have any recommendations for good brewpubs in either city?

If you are in the western suburbs of Chicago, try Two Brothers Brewing.

A bit hard to find - its essentially in a warehouse area. But their food is very good and the beers are amazing (loved their Cane and Abel Ale).

Piece, Piece, and Piece.

In my oppinion, much better food, and much better beer than Goose Island.

Depending on where you will be in Philly, you could also try Iron Hill. They have a few locations around the suburbs.

For a bar (not brewpub) with a great selection on tap and great food, you should try Monk's Cafe. It is in the city and you won't be disappointed.

Piece, Piece, and Piece.

In my oppinion, much better food, and much better beer than Goose Island.

I guess I could agree with that, but it's not really "Chicago"-flavored unless you think 25 year-old hipsters in skinny jeans represent Chicago well... ;) I just think Goose feels more like "Chicago", but that's just me. And the beer they have on tap at their pubs is always better than the bottled offerings, dunno why...

+1 to the map room and peice in Chicago. I was at Peice this summer. They have excellent beer and good pizza. The pizza is not Chicago style but it is still damn good.

Nodding Head, definitely. If they have their Berliner Weisse on (maybe a seasonal?), get it.

And if you're traveling via the PA Turnpike, Troegs is only a short 6 miles north of exit 242! :)

+1 to the map room and peice in Chicago. I was at Peice this summer. They have excellent beer and good pizza. The pizza is not Chicago style but it is still damn good.

Piece Brewery is my favorite in Chicago. Their pizza and IPA were awesome. I would also check out Sheffields Beer Garden.

Chicago: Goose Island (Clybourn is better than Wrigleyville) is nice, a bit of a pain to find unless you're in a car or cab (it's about 2 blocks from an El stop, in a sort of ordinary residential neighborhood) has tasting flights, good food, and nice people.

They offer tours on Sundays, but the tasting flights are available any day of the week.

If you're in the burbs and want a fun place to eat and drink great beer, the Bavarian Lodge is awesome! www.bavarian-lodge.com

While it's not a brewpub, the beer list is drool worthy (especially if you're into Belgian ales) and they serve up some decent comfort food at a fair price.

Oh! and if you have a car, see if you can find your way to a local Binny's (package store). They carry stuff that I can't even find in Boston.

Chicago, as stated, you definitely have to hit up Revolution Brewery and/or Piece. Both are very different in atmospheres, but both make good beer and good food. I've never been to Two Brother's, but I've heard really good things. Goose Island (I'd recommend the one on Clybourn, not Clark) is another good spot.

As far as beer bars, my favorite is probably the Hop Leaf, but Kuma's Corner is wildly interesting (GREAT burgers, GREAT beers, loud metal music, and naked women on the wall). I'd also recommend Twisted Spoke. It has one of the best beer menus in the city, and the food is pretty good too. It's got a cool motorcycle theme too it. The bartender's and waitresses are pretty knowledgeable and have offered good recommendations to me in the past. They have a good aged beer list too, this summer, I had a 2007 Oak Aged Imperial Stout there, it was heavenly.

I'll put in a word for the Rock Bottom on Grand Ave. in Chicago if you happen to be near there. It is much better than most of their locations. I'll second Two Bros.; great place with good food. Try the fish tacos.

Ignore the recommendations to go to Manayunk Brew Pub, its not worth your time. Most of the other options presented itt are much much better, especially Nodding Head and Yards.

Ok, need to repost since I won't actually be downtown Chicago, just found out when they told me Chicago, they actually meant Downers Grove Illinois, which is a suburb about 30 min west of Chicago. Not that a 30 min drive will keep me from driving into downtown after work, but if there are any good pubs out that way you all know of, I would certianly be interested :D

There's a great place in philly for bottles. I think it's called the Foodery. 10th or 11th and Pine. I picked up some Russian River there.

B

Ok, need to repost since I won't actually be downtown Chicago, just found out when they told me Chicago, they actually meant Downers Grove Illinois, which is a suburb about 30 min west of Chicago. Not that a 30 min drive will keep me from driving into downtown after work, but if there are any good pubs out that way you all know of, I would certianly be interested :D

In that case, definitely hit Two Brothers. I was in Downers Grove too and found it to be the nearest brewery around (will take you around 10-15mins to drive depending on which part of Downers Grove you are in. As I had mentioned before, their beers are great (I loved their Cane and Abel) and the tap house has some great food selection.

There is a Rock Bottom in a mall at Downers Grove too - they had some decent beers too. You can hit that if you do not want to drive too far.

I'm familiar with Downers Grove. Two Brothers would a good option for you - not a 5 minute drive but very much suburban.

http://www.twobrosbrew.com/

I would also say if you have a chance, go have lunch or dinner at Bavarian Lodge.

Not a brewpub, but good food and a drool-worthy beer list (you can tell that real beer lovers run the place)

There's a great place in philly for bottles. I think it's called the Foodery. 10th or 11th and Pine. I picked up some Russian River there.

B

They also have a location in Northern Liberties (my hood) at 2nd and Poplar. Great selection, a little over priced though.

My brother the beer geek (it runs in the family) says Lunar Brewing is the best in that area.

We were at Half Acre, Revolution, and Hop Leaf in the city last summer, and they are all worthwhile.

If you have the time, Three Floyd's in Munster, Indiana makes awesome beers, but if you end up in a beer bar in the Chicago area, you'll find some of their offerings

Here are a couple places to consider - not brew pubs but all are pretty close to or in downtown (Center City, in the local language). I like using Yelp for these - anyone can say anything on their web site:

Northern Liberties:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/standard-tap-philadelphia

Rittenhouse Square:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/village-whiskey-philadelphia

And one in Northeast Philly, not near Center City but very good if you're up that way.:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-grey-lodge-pub-philadelphia

And here's a place out in Malvern that's very good - better, I think then the reviews, and if you arer all the way out there, you don't have a lot of close options:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mckenzie-brew-house-inc-malvern#query:mckenzies

In Philadelphia, Monk's is really a must. The place is an institution and helped pioneer the craft/Belgian beer scene, which is now ubiquitous in the city, but about 10 years ago, it was really all there was.

Unique tap list, incredible bottle list, and Belgian fare that is tough to beat.

In Philadelphia, Monk's is really a must. The place is an institution and helped pioneer the craft/Belgian beer scene, which is now ubiquitous in the city, but about 10 years ago, it was really all there was.

Unique tap list, incredible bottle list, and Belgian fare that is tough to beat.

Would that Monk's be run by the same folks as the Monk's in Sioux Falls SD? I was visiting an old college buddy out there about 6 months ago and discovered that place thanks to my buddy's roommate. My friend is a bud light kinda guy, but his roomie is a beer nerd like myself :D

In that case, definitely hit Two Brothers. I was in Downers Grove too and found it to be the nearest brewery around (will take you around 10-15mins to drive depending on which part of Downers Grove you are in. As I had mentioned before, their beers are great (I loved their Cane and Abel) and the tap house has some great food selection.

There is a Rock Bottom in a mall at Downers Grove too - they had some decent beers too. You can hit that if you do not want to drive too far.

I might check that out! Always up for touring a brewery :D

I'll probably skip rock bottom, we have those in MN here, plus a good friend of mines wife used to work and the one in Minneapolis and knows the brewers so we usually get the employees discount....can't beat beers and food for under $20(though we usually tip very well on top of that too)

Would that Monk's be run by the same folks as the Monk's in Sioux Falls SD? I was visiting an old college buddy out there about 6 months ago and discovered that place thanks to my buddy's roommate. My friend is a bud light kinda guy, but his roomie is a beer nerd like myself :D

I would not imagine so but who knows? Monk's is a landmark for Belgians especially - the selection is amazing.

No.

I'm familiar with Downers Grove. Two Brothers would a good option for you - not a 5 minute drive but very much suburban.

http://www.twobrosbrew.com/

I would also say if you have a chance, go have lunch or dinner at Bavarian Lodge.

Not a brewpub, but good food and a drool-worthy beer list (you can tell that real beer lovers run the place)

+1 to Bavarian Lodge!! (just take Ogden Avenue west from DG until just past Main St. Lisle, and it's on the North side of the road)

They have something like a couple of dozen taps of stuff you don't see anywhere else... always lots of boutique offerings from places like New Holland, Stone, etc, as well as tons of imports. The draft selection changes weekly, so they have something else on immediately when a keg kicks. Never had a dirty line or stale beer complaint there... and the food is best German food anywhere.

Think the Bavarian lodge will be visited, that's only an 11 minute drive from my hotel according to Google :D

As far as 2 brothers brewing we'll have to see, I would be cutting it close to make it on time for the Sunday tour assuming my flight arrives on time, and I'm flying out Friday night so I can't make the Saturday :(

Back