Munich Dark Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedTail

Reaction score
There's a local brewpub in my area that I've been going to for years. Several years back they used to serve this beer that was called Munich Dark Ale. My friends and I absolutely loved this beer. After a while they stopped brewing it as an ale, but made it as a lager. While still pretty good, it lacked some of the character that the ale version had. After a while the brewpub stopped serving even the lager version, and we later found out that they changed brewmasters. Obviously the new guy doesn't brew this beer.

So I wanted to try and figure this one out so i can brew it myself. From what i recall (remember it's been quite a while since I had this beer) it was black in color, very much like your typical german schwartzbier. It had a nice roasty flavor without the astringency that many darker brews have. It went down fairly smooth. There was little or no hop bitterness.

With that in mind I came up with this PM recipe. Let me know what you think:

5lbs Munich Malt 20L
3.15 lbs NB Munich LME
12oz Carafa III
4oz Flaked Barley

2oz Hallertau (60 min)
1oz Hallertau (5 min)

S-04 Yeast

OG: 1.054
SRM: 36
IBU: 26.2

Latest posts