Found Yeast Older than me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
So I told my dad I have gotten into homebrewing and handed him a beer from our first two batches. Much to my surprise he told me he homebrewed up until I was born. So fast forward a few weeks to tonight, we dig through our current basement to find what was left of his old equipment and found five packets of this:
34744_1231307074136_1572900985_30960187_6274691_n.jpg

The yeast is older than me! Just for ****s and giggles I am going to brew up a starter and see if i can get any activity out of them.

Here is other stuff I found and sorry about the clutter: (left to right: Dextrose, yeast packets, airlock, sodium bisulfite and two bench cappers in the back)
37546_1231307274141_1572900985_30960188_1962560_n.jpg

I just had fun going through this stuff and as well as all the unused bottle caps so I figured I would share!

That's pretty cool. I am interested to see what kind of beer you get from that yeast.

p.s. That bottle says Sodium Bisulfite, not Sodium Bicarbonate...

That's pretty cool. I am interested to see what kind of beer you get from that yeast.

p.s. That bottle says Sodium Bisulfite, not Sodium Bicarbonate...

Haha nice catch! I didn't look at it too closely once he told me it was a sanitizer, I was more interested in the old Malt Extract labels.

Sounds like time to brew with dad! I know my dad and I had a great time brewing together last year when he came out from California.

Funny you should mention it because he said my first two batches were better than anything he ever brewed. He decided to fund the purchase of a fermenter (since he got rid of his plastic carboy 15 years ago) and a premade beer ingredient kit. He has moved to BCM beers for the last 20 years because the frugal part of his german blood proved greater than his beer-pallet part haha.

So I picked up some cleanser, a fermenting bucket and a German Style Light kit to brew whenever we get free time.

Back