Did i mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I just thought of this.... I pitched some washed and started yeast in my oatmeal stout this evening.. I did NOT cold crash the starter before decanting. I let it ferment and the kraussen fell and I just let it set a day until I had a nice cream colored layer of yeast in the bottom.. poured off some of the wort and swirled the remainder and poured it into the fermentor... I did all of this at room temperature.

It wasn't ideal, but you didn't really mess up. Basically you just dumped some of the viable yeast out. As you noticed by the collection of yeast at the bottom there was still plenty to be pitched. But by not chilling it first there was probably just still some in suspension that got dumped.

No worries. It's still far more yeast than would have been in a vial or smack pack anyway, so you're good to go.

Your good. I do the same when I have time - I just stick them in my fermentation fridge so they are at the same temp as the wort when I pitch.

GT

Back