Krausen and Dropping Gravity, but No Bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilsnerPete

Reaction score
So I've had an APA in primary for 6 days. The OG was around 1.064 (a tad higher than the recommended OG) and I only pitched one vial of WL Cal Ale. This was only my second batch and I'll be purchasing a yeast starter kit before my next, but I digress...

Its been 6 days and I haven't seen a single bubble in my airlock. On the morning of day 2...I saw the outline of a krausen (I'm using a 6.5G Ale Pail). I took a gravity reading on day 3 and it had dropped to 1.050. I took another reading last night and it had dropped to 1.020. I also took an up close wiff last night and almost started choking off the pure C02.

I cannot visually see any places where CO2 might be escaping. So where the eff is it going? Seems like fermentation is definitely going on if I my gravity readings are dropping and I've got a healthy krausen. Must there be some sort of a leak? I'm using an 3 piece airlock with some super cheap vodka in it if that helps anyone diagnose my issue.

This is only my 2nd extract batch so if I said anything that makes me sound like a beginner...its cause I am.

Chances are your bucket's lid doesn't seal 100%. Or the grommet isn't sealing. Don;t worry about it.

Yeah, +1 on that grommet. I had that problem on two brews, but my beer came out fine both times. Next online order, I grabbed a replacement grommet, and all is well.

I'd be more concerned about opening it up every couple of days checking the gravity.

Back