Southern Tier Imperial Creme Brulee Stout yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
I am sketching out a recipe for this stout to surprise the GF because she loves this beer so much. Is it possible to buy a bottle of the Creme Brulee Stout and recover some yeast from it to use in my fermentation? If not what yeast would you recommend? Thanks in advance!!

Email the brewer and ask him. That's my recommendation. I cannot say it enough, immitation is the highest form of flattery when it comes to brewing.

The last imperial bottle of Southern Tier I had was filtered. I don't think they bottle condition. Considering the Creme Brulee is 10%, I would use an old ale strain. Wyeast 1028 or 1728 would both be good choices, or their comparable white labs strains.

Thanks fellow Ohio brewer! I actually just called and spoke to someone in the QC department because there weren't any emails listed on their website. I can't remember his name, but he was pretty helpful but not fully transparent. He said I could probably propogate some yeast from one of their unfiltered products #22?? Not sure which one that is so I think for this round I'll stick with a starter to be determined after some research. He did mention to mash in the low 150's which is different than a recipe I saw that said 160. He also said they use a very concentrated vanilla extract from "Bells" and I may be able to call them to see if they would send me a small quantity but he indicated for a 5 gal batch you'd only need a couple ml so I think I'll just use a high quality vanilla extract. Oh yeah, he said the vanilla goes in just prior to carbonation so I'll add it as I rack to the bottling bucket.

I think with everything going on in this beer, some 1056 or 001 would work just fine. Maybe a high-attenuative English strain...maybe.

Did they mention anything about lactose? I had that beer and it seemed really sweet.

Yes, lactose is definitely involved. Getting a little out of the yeast forum here but here's what I've come up with in Beersmith. I'm doing a 2.5 gallon batch since I am not a huge stout fan and I'm doing another 2.5 of something else to work on my methods. Recipe below couple things that aren't clear, add the lactose last 5 min of boil and the vanilla extract goes in the keg or bottling bucket prior to conditioning. Feel free to chime in if you see anything that needs work. Also, any suggestions on fermentation are appreciated since this will be my first shot at stout (temp, length in primary, secondary needed, aging?)

Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout Clone
Sweet Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 8/23/2009
Batch Size: 2.50 gal
Brewer: EuBrew
Boil Size: 3.49 gal Asst Brewer: Erica
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.38 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 77.63 %
1.63 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 17.11 %
0.47 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 33.6 IBU
0.35 oz Horizon [12.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
2.00 oz Vanilla Extract (Bottling 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.26 %
2.50 gal Columbus, OH Water
1 Pkgs Bedford British Ale (White Labs #WLP006) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.104 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.58 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 37.9 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 31.1 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
Sparge Water: 2.01 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 11.25 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F

It's a stout, dude!! Where's the roast??!

You're going to need some chocolate (I would ballpark 3-5%, maybe even more) malt and some roasted barley (again, around 5%). The bitterness from these malts will help counter the sweetness from the lactose and vanilla - blending them helps create some great harmony in stouts, in my opinion. Also, way too much crystal 120. Tone that bad boy down to around 1%, and try a crystal blend with some 60L or 80L.

Going off what's on Southern Tier's website and the conversation I had with one of the brewers there is only pale 2 row and crystal in the grain bill. He said he didn't have the bill in front of him when we talked but I checked the web after reading your suggestions and they note chocolate and roasted barley in their Mokah, but not in the Creme Brulee. You could be completely right because I don't have a clue about stouts (I'm an IPA man) but like I said, just going off what the man and his web site say:D I like the idea of the blend on the crystal. I saw dark crystal on the bottle and kinda assumed 120L (effenrookie). Here's the new bill trying to stay as close to 25 plato and within color range. I tweaked the hop schedule to dry hop the Horizon since they're listed as an aroma hop anyway.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 63.16 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 15.79 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 15.79 %
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 36.0 IBU
0.50 oz Horizon [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Vanilla Extract (Bottling 5.0 min) Misc
8.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.26 %
2.50 gal Columbus, OH Water
1 Pkgs Bedford British Ale (White Labs #WLP006) Yeast-Ale

Lemme have it!! Gotta learn somewhere!! Thanks for helping the helpless i.e. me!!:rockin:

Cool..Let us know how it turns out..I know its a big beer..What is the approximate ABV of yours?

Well I stand corrected. Weird. I've only had it once, and it was a couple of months ago, so I'm not the expert - just assumed stout = roasted barley and some chocolate.

Cool..Let us know how it turns out..I know its a big beer..What is the approximate ABV of yours?

Playing with the numbers and trying to keep OG right around what they have on the bottle it comes up as 10.53 but the bottle says 10. Since I had such awful results effeciency wise on my last (first) brew I'll keep it where it is and hope it was more the crush I got from my LHBS. Will be ordering grain bill in the next couple days to get things ready to brew a week from sunday. Any suggestions on a starter for this since it is HG?? Haven't done one and don't have a stir plate.

I had some of this last night at the NJHOPZ club meeting...there's chocolate and roast barley in there.

It is tasty, but IMO, overly sweet. Hit you in the face vanilla and creme (lactose)...think vanilla coffee creamer body with double the vanilla flavor...;)

I think I would like it better if I blended (50/50) it with almost any other brew...:mug:

I agree with homebrewer_99 on the taste. While I definitely appreciate specialty beers (DFH is prob my favorite brewer) I think the sweetness was way over the top. I actually was reading Wild Brews the other day and in Belgium they put or used to put saccharin in their beers! I thought that was weird but who knows. Maybe it would be nice thrown in an impy stout.

quite an old thread, but i need to bring it back from the dead LOL

So what are the reviews on this beer that was brewed? Any suggested changes at all? What was your final recipe?

Thanks a bunch.

I briefly spoke to the brewer at Southern Tier and got some info, but no much. Hopefully I can catch him at a better time and get some more.

IBU's 95 all at the start of the boil.
Lactose added at the beginning of the boil.
Yeast is their house strain but he recommends an American Ale.

Vanilla extract - I highly recommend Penzey's "double strength" vanilla extract. It's really good stuff - good quality (I've used it for making ice cream and custard.

There's a Penzey's in Columbus, on Kenny Rd. http://www.penzeys.com

(...and I used to live in Grandview. The water can be hit or miss in Cowtown) :)

For yeast, I would say to try captured Pacman. I LOVE this yeast, it just performs really well (and Rogue's Chocolate stout is some tasty stuff). It's not ST's yeast, but it might produce a lovely result.

Flaked Barley.

Interesting. I had heard that the brew just used mass quantities of 120L and a whitbread style years (wlp006).

I have a hopville recipe started - would be curious to get feedback:
malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
78% 14 12 American Two-row Pale info 37 1
17% 3 4 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L info 33 120
5% 1 0 Milk Sugar (Lactose) info 35 0
19 0

Batch size: 5.0 gallons Original Gravity
(1.097 to 1.113)
Final Gravity
(1.023 to 1.028)
Color
30° SRM / 60° EBC
(Dark Brown to Black)
Mash Efficiency
75%
hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 0.75 Columbus info pellet 15.4
boil 60 mins 1.0 Horizon info pellet 12.0

Boil: 4.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes Bitterness
41.5 IBU / 24 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU
yeast
White Labs Bedford British (WLP006) info
ale yeast in liquid form with high flocculation
Alcohol
10.9% ABV / 8% ABW
Calories
355 per 12 oz.
misc
use time amount ingredient
bottling 0 min 4 ounces Vanilla Extract info

How much barley should I be adding? 1/4 or 1/2 a pd? What about something like Carafa 550L to add color with less bitterness?

Also - any thoughts about adding some dark belgian candy?
I'm also considering using a trappist yeast instead - seems like the flavor should go well with the caramel. Any thoughts or counter indications?

Finally will brew this in the fall:

Ingredients

20.15 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 79.0 %
1.79 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 7.0 %
1.79 lb Debittered Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.0 %
84.47 g Warrior [17.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 95.0 IBUs
0.00 oz Vanilla Extract (Bottling 5.0 mins) - Needs testing
1.79 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) 7.0 %
2.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [125.00 ml]

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 25.209 Plato
Est Final Gravity: Between 10-12 Plato
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 11.5 %
Bitterness: 95.0 IBUs
Est Color: 42.9 SRM

Mash temp: 153-154

SourHopHead said:
Finally will brew this in the fall:

Ingredients

20.15 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 79.0 %
1.79 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 7.0 %
1.79 lb Debittered Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.0 %
84.47 g Warrior [17.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 95.0 IBUs
0.00 oz Vanilla Extract (Bottling 5.0 mins) - Needs testing
1.79 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) 7.0 %
2.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [125.00 ml]

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 25.209 Plato
Est Final Gravity: Between 10-12 Plato
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 11.5 %
Bitterness: 95.0 IBUs
Est Color: 42.9 SRM

Mash temp: 153-154

I am hooked on Creme Brulee Stout. I want to brew it. I would love any updates from anyone who has brewed it. This recipe looks like a great starting point.

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

Scheduled to brew on November 10th, but could happen sooner. In the meantime I am going to grab a good Imperial Stout and douse it with Vanilla with a dropper to find a good level.

I overdosed the vanilla in mine based on previous experience with a vanilla porter. I dosed mine with 4 ounces of high end extract and it is too much. I think 3 would have been better. Maybe even 2 but that might be too subdued.

The dropper is a good idea.

15 lb 2-Row
3 lb C120
1.5 lb Lactose

2 oz Warrior @ 60
1 oz Horizon @ 5

4 Vanilla Beans cold alcohol extract

WLP023 Burton Ale or Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley

5 gallon batch, 6 gallon boil
OG 1.100
FG 1.030
ABV 9.5%
SRM 31
Mash 157-158 (gives it the perfect amount of thickness as this beer has no flaked barley)

15 lb 2-Row
3 lb C120
1.5 lb Lactose

2 oz Warrior @ 60
1 oz Horizon @ 5

4 Vanilla Beans cold alcohol extract

WLP023 Burton Ale or Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley

5 gallon batch, 6 gallon boil
OG 1.100
FG 1.030
ABV 9.5%
SRM 31
Mash 157-158 (gives it the perfect amount of thickness as this beer has no flaked barley)

kjjohns,
where are you putting the 1.5 lbs. lactose in the schedule?

21.5P with finishing volume off since I did not correct the software after reinstalling. Finished around 4-5P.

Sweet with roasty notes, but alcohol bite is much less than I would like. No vanilla added yet. Sitting in the keg for now.

Added 1 Indonesian vanilla bean to some vodka and let it sit for a week before adding it to the keg. Roasty, a little sweet, vanilla, woody & robust. I added some move vodka to the vanilla bean and keeping it on hand incase I decide to add more.

Just had a commercial ST glass the other night. It's very sweet but I'm considering brewing it. Any reviews from those that have done it?

Friendly note here but ST's "Live" Ipa is bottle conditioned. It's readily available in the stores around me (Raleigh, NC) right now. I've already harvested some for my second go round of PumKing clone this year.

Back