water change from source to tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Should I expect the water chemistry to change from the source to my tap? I recently received a water report that gives me the mineral breakdown of the treated water, but what happens to it after it leaves the treatment facility?

This is really a question of curiosity - I have no empirical evidence to think it does change, but it does seem to me that some changes could be expected given the amount of time the water sits in various underground pipes.

Are there changes that are more likely? Or is it negligible? I'm actually half-tempted to get my tap water analyzed to see if there is a difference, just to have some empirical data (why, yes, I am a scientist).

I would guess the only real factor that significantly affects your tap for your purposes, assuming "normal" city plumbing, is whether you run your source water thru a water softener prior to the output.

Back