Question... Getting ingredients right...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_sanch

Reaction score
About to brew my first Cooper's Wheat Beer...

According to their website, ingredients include:

1.7kg can Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer
500g Light Dry Malt
300g Dextrose

I visited a local homebrew store and mentioned I wanted to replace the dextrose with some DME and I was handed 1.25 kg of CBW Bavarian Wheat DME...

Now, if my calculations are correct, I should assume the following:

500g (Light Dry Malt) can be substituted by 500g of my DME and the 300g of Dextrose can be substituted for 360g of DME (assuming a 1.2x rate of Dex vs DME)...

This should total 500g + 360g = 860g of DME total...

Is this accurate? Would the balance in my brew be thrown off if I just add a firm 1 kg of DME and use the remaining 250g for carbonating later? (I don't plan to have any hop additions)

Thanks for any clarification!

*EDIT* .. I just stumbled across a breakdown of the specific DME I bought: http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_CBWBavarianWheatDME.pdf

About to brew my first Cooper's Wheat Beer...

According to their website, ingredients include:

1.7kg can Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer
500g Light Dry Malt
300g Dextrose

I visited a local homebrew store and mentioned I wanted to replace the dextrose with some DME and I was handed 1.25 kg of CBW Bavarian Wheat DME...

Now, if my calculations are correct, I should assume the following:

500g (Light Dry Malt) can be substituted by 500g of my DME and the 300g of Dextrose can be substituted for 360g of DME (assuming a 1.2x rate of Dex vs DME)...

This should total 500g + 360g = 860g of DME total...

Is this accurate? Would the balance in my brew be thrown off if I just add a firm 1 kg of DME and use the remaining 250g for carbonating later? (I don't plan to have any hop additions)

Thanks for any clarification!

*EDIT* .. I just stumbled across a breakdown of the specific DME I bought: http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_CBWBavarianWheatDME.pdf

What size batch are you making?

Is the can of liquid extract pre-hopped?

Ok, well I went ahead and brewed it all. Ended up using the entire 1kg of DME - hopefully it won't take away from the "light and refreshing" taste I was going for. Actually added some lemon zest and black peppercorn (fresh out of oranges and coriander!)...

My OG reading was 1.054. I wasn't able to find any specifics regarding what it should be for this particular type of beer but it does seem to be in a decent range, right?

Ok, well I went ahead and brewed it all. Ended up using the entire 1kg of DME - hopefully it won't take away from the "light and refreshing" taste I was going for. Actually added some lemon zest and black peppercorn (fresh out of oranges and coriander!)...

My OG reading was 1.054. I wasn't able to find any specifics regarding what it should be for this particular type of beer but it does seem to be in a decent range, right?

Yes, the OG looks good. I prefer lemon pepper on a piece of fish, not beer but who knows, maybe it will work.

The beer will be slightly maltier, a bit higher ABV than the original kit. No idea what the spices will do to it.

Back